We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barracuda Apartments?

Which Playa Samara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jamestown, ND
reviews: 9
Barracuda Apartments?

Anyone know anything about the Barracuda Apartments?

Found it on samarabeach.com. Seems like a decent place. Any feedback?

http://samarabeach.com/barracuda/index.html

Thanks!

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
reviews: 66
1. Re: Barracuda Apartments?

Well, the Barracuda has gone through a variety of reincarnations - from restaurant to hotel to club blasting loud music from the hilltop all over town and a laser show that would blind drivers and pedestrians on the main street, to private long-term rentals.

I haven't been up there in years - last I checked, it was rather basic but it's possible that they have updated.

At any rate, you'll be up the hill on the main road into town. You CAN walk down, but you will do so amid crazy drivers going way too fast on their last stretch before reaching Samara.

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 8
2. Re: Barracuda Apartments?

I would stay a bit closer to town...agree with Framptonian...it would be a hairy walk up and down to town/beach. We stayed at El Gauchito (across the from the Logan) which is rented out by Villas Kilimas. There are a couple of places on this small street - the Logan and Bambula and I think a few others. It was close enough to walk anywhere but quiet enough to sleep at night.

have fun planning!

lwbc

Jamestown, ND
3. Re: Barracuda Apartments?

I am stressing out.

We need 2 rooms for the end of Jan, and beginning of Feb. Most places only have 1 room.

Either they are VERY basic places for $50 a night, or $200 a night and more than we need.

Just looking for a decent place closer to the beach for around $100 a night.

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 8
4. Re: Barracuda Apartments?

don't stress...you'll find something!

are you travelling with kids? kitchen or hotel only?

lwbc

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
5. Re: Barracuda Apartments?

Don't panic - there are plenty of places to be found.

Have you looked at vrbo.com?

Or at www.samararentals.com

Or at http://www.exclusiveescapescr.com

The Mirador also rents out apartments and is in a much better location than Barracuda: http://www.miradordesamara.com

Jamestown, ND
6. Re: Barracuda Apartments?

Traveling with 2 boys 6 & 8. Also brother in law who wants his own room.

Would like to be near beach so we can walk to beach, and town. Would like pool if possible.

Prefer kitchen, but will look at anything that matches the above items.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
7. Re: Barracuda Apartments?

Have you looked at Villas Kalimba? Not sure if they are above your budget, though.

Jamestown, ND
8. Re: Barracuda Apartments?

Ended up booking Hotel Samara Inn. Would have liked to have been a little closer to the beach, but looks like good reviews, and fit our other needs.

Kalimba was booked.

Thanks for the help.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
9. Re: Barracuda Apartments?

Corbay, from this particular hotel, you are actually fairly close to the beach. Just down the road is the little hamlet of Cangrejal, which is, if you will, a suburb of Samara. The road leads right to the beach. If you turn left, you'll end up at the main beach entrance of Samara.

Alternatively, you can simply walk the road into Samara that the hotels sits on - it's not very far to walk and even though there are no sidewalks, you'll be perfectly fine since that road sees a lot of pedestrians.

The hotel is quite new but seems to have gotten a good reception from travelers. I think you made a fine choice.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 11
10. Re: Barracuda Apartments?

Our stay in late December was a disaster. I absolutely don't recommend this place. We are a family of 5 and booked it ahead of time, based on photos of the pool, view, and a couple of nice photos from other units. What we were put in was a horrible 2 bedroom "rooming house"...the door didn't lock, the windows were concrete blocks you couldn't see out of, there wasn't a "bathroom", just a toilet room, a separate shower room, and you had to brush your teeth in the kitchen sink. The floor was peel & stick linoleum, and they used strips of that as crown molding. They did a master job with photos because they made it look like there was a separate dining room, when in fact it was part of the bedroom. They just hung different curtains on that side of the room. The towels were miniscule and there were bugs..small ants maybe? marching all over the kitchen counter. We arrived at night and my kids were anxious to swim, so we hit the pool, what looked to be the only highlight of the place. It wasn't lit, and we discovered in the morning that it was super murky, which is why they probably didn't have it lit in the first place! We were supposed to stay for 3 nights and we left after 1 night. The owner, Martin, wasn't there to greet us but his mother was, and she spoke very little spanish and no english so we had trouble communicating. When I said there wasn't enough room for my family of 5 (it was my gentle way of saying it wouldn't work for us), they got nasty and defensive and even sent me an email threatening to report me to immigrations to forbid me to leave the country because I had accidentally left their 5 beach towels with the rest of my family while I checked out. I've NEVER written a bad review on a place, and I wasn't looking for anything fancy, just safe and clean. This was anything but!!