We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay HELP!

Which Playa Samara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jamestown, ND
reviews: 5
Where to stay HELP!

Coming to CR end of Jan, beginning of Feb.

Plan to spend bulk of our time on or near the coast in Guanacaste. In an earlier exchange we were directed to Samara as the bay is well protected and great with our boys 6 & 8.

Seems as though the best place to stay in Samara that is on the beach (Hotel Fenix) is booked up.

We are looking for other options. What about other towns, or beaches that are similar.

Looking for easy beach access from hotel / rental. Could be a short walk to beach. Smaller town, but not too small. And a good beach to relax, and play in the water. Maybe try our hand at surfing.

Maybe feedback on Playa Flamingo, or Playa Carillo.

Or a decent place to stay that is close to the beach in Samara.

Thanks in advance!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 137
1. Re: Where to stay HELP!

No, not Playa Flamingo.

Tamarindo

Nosara/Guoines

Mal Pais/Santa Teresa

www.nicoyapeninsula.com/nicoyasouth.php

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
2. Re: Where to stay HELP!

Take a look here: www.samarabeach.com

I know a number of families who have stayed at Villas Kalimba and liked it very much.

Please investigate thoroughly before you decide on another area. Samara is so great for families and there is a TON of lodging available of all sorts. Even if you are not right on the beach, it's really easy to get there. The town itself is not hilly at all -- a slight incline down to the beach is all - so not really a big deal if you can't find lodging right ON the beach.

Ithaca, New York...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Where to stay HELP!

I highly recommend Hotel Flying Crocodile that is near the next beach over: http://www.flying-crocodile.com/

It's a very quiet area, if you like that, the staff are great, the food is excellent, made for you personally, the grounds and cabins are extremely well-maintained, there is a small pool on the property, and a beach within walking distance. I have seen a number of families during my stay here. There seems to be more room to spread out here and more nature right outside your door than at Playa Samara. You would need a car to get around, for example if you'd like to go for some more excitement and variety at Playa Samara, preferably Jeep-style. I rented a small sedan, which is fine, I just have to take the slow road around. Just keep in mind, it's very quiet here, with all the pluses and minuses that brings. Works great for me. Call the hotel for directions as the roads are really rustic around here.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: Where to stay HELP!

Flamingo beach is great beach...nice and long...next to Potrero ...Conchal...close to Playa Grande ...Tamarindo beach...of course Flamingo is a great option for any decent person looking for a nice beach and relax...

Roadadvisor

Maine
reviews: 46
5. Re: Where to stay HELP!

Loved our stay at Villas Kalimba in November. Loved Samara. Great beach and lots to do.

Maine
reviews: 46
6. Re: Where to stay HELP!

Loved our stay at Villas Kalimba in November. Loved Samara. Great beach and lots to do.

Edited: 6:58 pm, January 10, 2013
boston, ma
reviews: 1
7. Re: Where to stay HELP!

We have 8 yr old twins and will be staying at Villas Kalimba for the 7th consecutive year this February. Samara is a wonderful place for a family vacation, and Villas Kalimba is the best place to stay IMO. Directly across from the beach, great host family, nice breakfasts, pool, 2 bedroom/2bath villas are great for families....i could go on.

Collingwood, Canada
reviews: 9
8. Re: Where to stay HELP!

We stayed at Hotel Villas Playa Samara last year. The resort is "OK", and I know they were in the middle of renovations, so it might be better now. The location is great as its not right in Samara, but close enough that you can walk it on the beach even with your boys. We had a villa steps from the beach. Location was great for the area, but if you're looking to do tours it is a fair way to go (especially with young kids).

We did the all inclusive option, which I don't recommend as the hotel is too small to support a decent variety.

Over all the location is great, and the villas were comfortable.

There are plenty of small hotels in the area, one with tree houses, but I don't recall the name.

Virginia
reviews: 6
9. Re: Where to stay HELP!

Another vote for Villas Kalimba. Best place in Samara! Right across the street from the beach. We loved our stay there in Dec.

Jamestown, ND
reviews: 5
10. Re: Where to stay HELP!

Kalima did not have enough rooms for us. Other wise we would have stayed there.

Booked another place.

Thank you for all of the feedback.