We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How are the roads between LIR and Samara Beach?

Which Playa Samara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 2
How are the roads between LIR and Samara Beach?

Traveling Thanksgiving week to Samara Beach for my son's wedding and most flights get in at 7:20 p.m. Are the roads pretty decent for traveling at night?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 75
1. Re: How are the roads between LIR and Samara Beach?

Please don't drive at night--get a driver or wait until morning.

Is about a 3 hour drive or so. First hour, hour and a half is on paved roads and is okay. Last part is on a really horrible unpaved road. Rent an SUV with high clearance, or make sure your private driver has a vehicle with good suspension and clearance.

Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 2
2. Re: How are the roads between LIR and Samara Beach?

Thanks for the response; that's what I was afraid of. We really don't want to be stuck for a week without a vehicle though -- we are adventurers. My husband and I drove from San Jose-Arenal-Monteverde-Manuel Antonio a couple of years ago, and talk about treacherous, especially at night. We'll be responsible for transporting six people, so might be a wise idea to do private transportation back and forth from airport and try to rent something in Playa Samara for the week.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
3. Re: How are the roads between LIR and Samara Beach?

We stayed near Nosara (Playa Ostional) and what we did was private transfer to/from there and then rent a vehicle while there (there's a decent car rental place in Nosara--we rented a Rav4 from them).

Or, you could just spend the night near the airport and get your vehicle first thing in the morning. But, that would be one fewer morning waking up in the destination and instead waking up near LIR (that area represents the exurbs of a typical north american city).

Samara
reviews: 38
4. Re: How are the roads between LIR and Samara Beach?

Hi bred35,

Please disregard the comments by Racandee. The roads from Liberia to Samar are 100% paved and fine to drive with or without a 4x4. I think he is getting confused with Nosara which is 3 hrs from Liberia and 1 hr is on an unpaved road. From Liberia to Samara it is 2 hrs. There are still roads in CR that are unpaved and require a 4x4, like Monteverde. The road to Arenal, and Manuel Antonio are now all paved. Also, the road from Manuel Antonio to Dominical, which used to be a 2 hr drive is now only 20 with a new beautiful highway.

Have fun!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
5. Re: How are the roads between LIR and Samara Beach?

I stand corrected--I was assuming one would take the road from Nosara to Samara--the next town over. My failure to note the road going directly to Samara.

Still a good idea to not drive at night.

Samara
reviews: 38
6. Re: How are the roads between LIR and Samara Beach?

I agree with Racandee, driving at night can be tricky as road signage can be tricky.

Have a great trip :)

7. Re: How are the roads between LIR and Samara Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 16, 2013