We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samara

Which Playa Samara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
reviews: 43
Samara

Hi, we are arriving in Puerto Caldera on a cruise in December. We want to head to Samara. Any suggestions for transportation? We would like to rent a car for the week but haven't found any options yet. Thanks

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
1. Re: Samara

Since you are a hard stones throw from Puntarenas I would recommend the National office in Puntarenas http://www.natcar.com/fun/puntarenas.cfm

They can have a shuttle meet you at the port and give you simple instructions how to find the ferry (also in Puntarenas) to Samara, the peninsula, and area. Perhaps a GPS (although not always foolproof in CR) would be a good idea.

Enjoy your trip.

california
2. Re: Samara

Thanks

Grecia, Costa Rica
3. Re: Samara

You are very WELCOME jjjsfish, it is always a pleasure to offer a little good advice to travelers.

Do enjoy our country as much as we do.

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Samara

Just in case and as a clarification No such a thing like a ferry to Samara!! That is no correct !

NO SAMARA FERRY!

The ferry will take you from Puntarenas to Paquera or Playa Naranjo ...then you have to drive up to Nicoya about 3 hours and and then 45 minutes to Samara!

For most people that really knows our country the way to do it will be...

WITHOUT taking the PAQUERA ferry !!

Do it like this from Caldera...drive to connect with road ·1...that is Pan Am Hwy...about 20 minutes from Caldera...once in Pan Am Hwy...drive all the way to Limonal...maybe 1 hour 20 minutes...and then take in Limonal the road call the AMISTAD BRIDGE road...all the way across and then to Nicoya...about 45 minutes great road all the way...then from Nicoya 45 minutes to Samara...that is the way most people that really KNOWS our country will take...

Hopefullly is not to late and you can correct your plans...of course the ferry way is doable...but that is a a bad road under some construction...you most drive it slow...and of course not nice or safe to drive that section of the road at night!

roadadvisor

california
5. Re: Samara

Ok no ferry. We will be there in December.we still need to arrange to rent a car. You gave me very good advice when we came to your beautiful country three years ago. Thank you, Jill

Grecia, Costa Rica
6. Re: Samara

Ok, let's understand one thing, the ferry WILL take you to Samara IF you get off and travel along some scenic but occasionally pot holed roads..HOWEVER the photo ops and views are 100% better than taking the dog eared road across the rusty Chinese bridge..just another secondary hiway that looks like something back home. Yes, do NOT drive at night, anywhere in CR, and the roads have recently been repaired, although a lot is hard pack gravel, again, like many CR roads.

The ferry is a part of the journey, and that's what memories are all about. So I will say it again, the ferry WILL be the better way to go. You don't have to be native to know a water trip is a much better way to go...enjoy the ride."For most people that really knows our country" will suggest a scenic route, the ferry to the peninsula..IMHO.

Do enjoy your holiday, whichever way you go.

San Jose, Costa Rica
7. Re: Samara

You are WELCOME Jilll...

The ferry will take you to Paquera or Playa Naranjo...and from there you can go even go to Nicaragua...that does not means the ferry is from Puntarenas to Nicaragua!!

I hope you enjoy the ride to Samara by the great and in great shape AMISTAD bridge or by the Ferry to Paquera...

The roads from Caldera all the way to Limonal -...Nicoya to Samara in great shape...

My God I can not beleive it...I remember one person telling a nice TA person that the rafting around Monteverde was great...then the clarification...from Monteverde 4 hours to the left at Pacaure river...!

Glad you remember me...yes more than 45 years driving and giving advice to nice people like you ..I most know my country by now... !!

Please do not hesitate to ask any question here at the forum any time!

roadadvisor

Edited: 8:17 pm, August 10, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 60
8. Re: Samara

The ferry sounds wonderful But...it is better to nix the ferry and drive around. I have been told by several locals that this trek will take a long time in drive time. The roads from the ferry are not paved...take the way around on the friendship bridge...check out my blog....www.costaricatravelguru.com

guanacaste
reviews: 31
9. Re: Samara

For Samara , the most recommended route is going through La Amistad Bridge. Bridge is ok, and so is the road. Take the ferry is you plan to go to Tambor or Montezuma.

San Jose, Costa Rica
10. Re: Samara

Thgank you Jose b...as a person that I know that you drive almost weekly to Guanacaste---what do you think about the following paragraph!

100% better than taking the dog eared road across the rusty Chinese bridge..just another secondary hiway that looks like something back home

Can you clarify if the Amistad bridge is rustyy?? according to this paragraph the bridge is the worst around ...maybe in his motherland country for trhe lack of money the bridges are like that ...here at least no Amistad bridge!

roadadvisor