We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice

Which Playa Samara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Placentia, Canada
reviews: 17
advice

looking for tips and all types of helpfull hints for the Samara region...looks like we will be staying at villas playa Samara.

closest town?privacy?safety issues?car rental recommended?do's and donts....

My wife and I are interested in quiet areas that are not too much into the hustle and bustle.Would love to do some "real jungle trekking",would also like to know of any good shoreline fishing spots nearby...

any help would be well taken!!

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
1. Re: advice

Samara is a really cool little beach town. I would get a rental car to be able to explore the area. This will also give you the freedom to go down to Playa Carrillo at will.

The town of Samara is the closest town. You'll find plenty of restaurants and small shops. If you have a rental car you can also head up to Nosara for a day trip.

As far as safety, just use common sense like you would anywhere else you travel to. Lock up your valuables, never leave anything of value in the rental car, don't flash money.

You won't be able to go on a any jungle treks from Samara as it is in the dry forest. You may want to add a couple days in Arenal or Monteverde for this.

As far as shoreline fishing; there is a spot right in front of Villas Playa Samara in front of Isla Chora. Just be careful to pay attention to the tide so you do not get stuck there.

Placentia, Canada
2. Re: advice

thanks for the advice,any real crime in the immediate area?What would be the the main things to avoid in the area?

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
3. Re: advice

There is some petty theft, but nothing to worry about if you lock your valuables and do not leave anything unattended in the car. Other than that, a good rule of thumb is to not walk on the beach at night. I don't say this specifically for Samara, but any beach in Central America.

Samara is a peaceful area. You really do not have anything to worry about.

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: advice

Crime as bad as almost any California town now days...just common sense!

roadadvisor

Placentia, Canada
5. Re: advice

wondering where the nearest car rental would be from the villas samara hotel?Average costs?unlimited mileage offered?

any info taken and thanks so far!

Pleasanton...
reviews: 8
6. Re: advice

Not sure on costs but I believe there are 2 car rental agencies in town. Or you could rent at the airport and drive yourselves there.

guanacaste
reviews: 31
7. Re: advice

I suppose that you are flying in Liberia so don't worry rent there.

I know that rental companies drive cars as far as Samara.

nice choice and don't worry about crime, just play is safe, no bad news this year !!

Samara
reviews: 38
8. Re: advice

Hi TAT 2011,

There used to be 3 rental agencies in Samara but now there is only Alamo which is great because they have competitive prices and great costumer service. You can either rent at the airport and drive (about 2 hour drive or less to Samara) or rent once you are here. The prices will depend on what month you come, what type of car you rent and how log you rent it for. Alamo usually has a promotion where they give you the 7th day free (you only pay the taxes and insurance for that day). In the low season, cars can be rented for one day and in the high season there is a 3 day minimum. Keep in mind that the rates on-line sometimes do not include taxes and insurance costs.

Villas Playa Samara is a nice resort. My parents stay there all the time when they visit me and my husband and I got married there.

There is petty crime in Samara so as everyone on this forum has suggested, use common sense, don't leave anything unattended on the beach or in the car.

Have fun!

Virginia, USA
reviews: 6
9. Re: advice

Love the Samara area....Playa Carrillo is probably one of the most beautiful beaches in Costa Rica! If you have any medical problems Dr. Freddy at the clinic will take wonderful care of you!! As one of the posters reported, this is a dry forest, so no hope of "jungle trekking".....If you are truly interested in this experience you may want to look at flying down to the Osa Peninsula while you are there!

Samara
reviews: 38
10. Re: advice

Yes, Dr. Freddy is great! He has recently moved into a bigger office, much more comfortable ad accessible.

Edited: 2:51 pm, July 12, 2012