We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica tauck Bus Tour For Seniors?

Which Playa Hermosa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cambriah
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Costa Rica tauck Bus Tour For Seniors?

Hi All:

We are two Seniors from NY and have placed a deposit on a 7 day Tauck tour to Costa Rica.

The Tour starts in Liberia, travels east with stop-overs at three lodges and ends in San Jose.

It includes some hiking, rafting and even zip-lining.

We are in pretty good shape and walk about 3 miles daily.

Such a Trip too much for "The Old Folks".

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Also, any vaccine requirements to visit Costa Rica?

Cambriah

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,648 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Costa Rica tauck Bus Tour For Seniors?

No vaccination requirements for Costa Rica. (Unless you have been in certain countries with yellow fever prior to arriving Costa Rica.)

I am not familiar with the Tauck tour so can't comment on your itinerary without more information. What are your destinations? With some more details, we'll be able to give you better feedback.

Lots of older people hike, raft and zip line - it really depends on your wants/needs and your physical condition.

cambriah
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Costa Rica tauck Bus Tour For Seniors?

Hello:

Our destinations in Costa Rica will be:

Guanacaste, Monteverde, Muelle, and San Jose.

Cambriah

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
6,175 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Costa Rica tauck Bus Tour For Seniors?

This is a very active trip with 2 nites Bosque del Mar, 2 nites Monteverde Lodge, 2 nights Tilajari Lodge and last nite near SJO airport. At a cost of $398/per person per nite it is a deluxe trip and I could replicate this trip on my own using private drivers for a good bit less. I would also not pick these particular hotels with the exception of Bosque del Mar which is so nice you should consider arriving a day early to enjoy it. Nothing wrong with the hotels, I just think there are better choices for a deluxe trip.

However if you like having all activities and meals packaged together and prefer to travel in a large group you could have a great time. Some of the activities like horseback rides and ziplines may be beyond your comfort level but there is no reason most seniors couldn't manage and I'm sure the guide can suggest alternatives if you prefer to skip any of the adventures.

If you are independent travelers, you should consider asking a Costa Rica based travel agent to help you put together a trip with more choice on your part about what to do and where to stay, and at lower cost.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,648 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Costa Rica tauck Bus Tour For Seniors?

Well, I guess I asked for it - but still not very helpful.

I went to the website and took a look at the 8-day itinerary. It's a lot of moving around for my taste, but the lodging choices are good. Bosque del Mar in Playa Hermosa is very nice and Playa Hermosa is about 20-30 minutes from the airport so pretty easy.

They seem to have picked some "out of the way" places that look nice - Tizate and Tilajari.

There are lots of options mentioned for activities so I think you will be able to find something that suits your wants/needs. There is a float trip and the coffee tour will both be very easy, of course.

The price is a little high, I think, but I didn't look at all the details so it might be OK. $2790 for 8 days is around $350 per person per day which is pretty high. Many of the days include 3 meals so that's a plus. I would have to look at all the prices for the various lodging to know whether it's a decent price or not. For instance, the prices at Bosque del Mar range from $198 to $368 depending on the time of year and which room you have.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Costa Rica tauck Bus Tour For Seniors?

We are here now ..independently....but ran into Colette tour group and a Go ahead tour group. Large comfortable busses. Talking with patrons, each group seemed comfortabLe with their itinerary.. Nothing against Tauck, but a buffet is a buffet as far as food goes. And you aren't going to Costa Ricla to eat IMHO. BTW most were seniors. Some obviously more mobile than others, but wiling participants. Go for the trip.

6. Re: Costa Rica tauck Bus Tour For Seniors?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 10, 2014