We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicaragua to Costa Rican Border then Playa Hermosa

Which Playa Hermosa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bronx
reviews: 60
Nicaragua to Costa Rican Border then Playa Hermosa

We are traveling to Nicaragua in two weeks. Landing in Managua then driving to San Juan Del Sur. We are spending a few day here before heading to Playa Hermosa. Just got a Timeshare reservation there, just not sure how much traveling this is. Can someone please tell me how much traveling this is after leaving San Juan Del Sir?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Nicaragua to Costa Rican Border then Playa Hermosa

If you are talking about CONDOCAC LA COSTA in Playa Hermosa is about 32hours drive...good roada all the way! from Peñas Blancas..only one way...by Pan Am Hwy then turn in Liberia ta main lights take a right then to Playa Hermosa...Coco´s beach same road...

From Playa Hermosa to SJO about 4 hours even less nice easy ride...by Pan am Hwy and road 27...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
2. Re: Nicaragua to Costa Rican Border then Playa Hermosa

32 hours? Doesn't seem right, but who am I to argue with an expert.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 110
3. Re: Nicaragua to Costa Rican Border then Playa Hermosa

SJDS to the border is only about 30 minutes. The wait at the border who knows. Which Playa Hermosa are you going to? There is one in Guanacaste and one just south of Jaco. Once you get through the border the travel time isn't that long for either one. How are you driving from the boarder to Playa Hermosa? Are you getting a driver or renting a car somewhere?

Edited: 9:52 pm, August 06, 2012
bronx
4. Re: Nicaragua to Costa Rican Border then Playa Hermosa

I would be going to Guacastle and getting a driver not ure how much that would be.. I see there are private flights from SJDS to Liberia would that be better?

bronx
5. Re: Nicaragua to Costa Rican Border then Playa Hermosa

I would be going to Guacastle and getting a driver not ure how much that would be.. I see there are private flights from SJDS to Liberia would that be better?

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
6. Re: Nicaragua to Costa Rican Border then Playa Hermosa

That is a good way to go. The drive from the border to Playa Hermosa is about 2 hours, but Roadadvisor would know the exact drive time. I think the 32 hours was a typo. A charter flight from SJDS to Liberia would probably be a lot of fun. That must be expensive though. Your total drive time will be 3 hours but the border crossing can be quick or long depends on how crowded it is.

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
7. Re: Nicaragua to Costa Rican Border then Playa Hermosa

Actually, there isn't an airport of any kind near SJDS, even Rivas doesn't have a field, you need to go back to Managua. Best way would be to hire a private driver in SJDS who legally carries passengers and cross the border, then making your way to Playa Hermosa. Again, a reminder, a rental car can't come across the border, but a CR rental company can provide something, I believe Budget is at the border.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
8. Re: Nicaragua to Costa Rican Border then Playa Hermosa

Cajon I didn't know they have private drivers that do that. That would be a great option. It helps to get accross the border faster when you have some help and know what you are doing.

bronx
9. Re: Nicaragua to Costa Rican Border then Playa Hermosa

Thank you all very much for your help.. From San Juan Del Sur we will get a private driver to Costa Rican border where we will get another driver to playa hermosa.

That should be about 3 to 4 hours give or take boarder crossing right?.

if it works that way great! I will definately share my experience.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
10. Re: Nicaragua to Costa Rican Border then Playa Hermosa

Yes that sounds about right. Sounds like a great trip.