We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jellyfish at the Fiesta Premier

Which Playa Hermosa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 1
jellyfish at the Fiesta Premier

Does anyone know if there is always a jellyfish problem at the Fiesta Premier or is it just seasonal? Do all the beaches in that area have jellyfish? A lot of people have also complained about the no-see-ums and mosquitos. ARe they still a problem in the dry season? We plan on going next month and would like to swim in the ocean and not end up with 100 bites!

st.thomas, ont
1. Re: jellyfish at the Fiesta Premier

I was at Playa Hermosa and had a few small jellyfish Dec 31 while snorkelling. We were at the big rocks in the bay and just moved a few hundred feet away to avoid them.

Playa Hermosa...
reviews: 4
2. Re: jellyfish at the Fiesta Premier

Jelly fish move with the currents so you never know where or when they will appear. When I did snorkel trips on the "Spanish Dancer" it was the captains job to jump in first to test the waters for jelly fish before our guests jumped in. Sometimes just moving to another part of the beach eliminates the problem. Bring some vinegar pacs from fast food outlets at home. They are compact and if you do get a jellyfish bite (which is like a mosquito bite) the vinegar will take away the sting which only lasts a few minutes.

No mosquitos to speak of right now but the no see ems will chew you up if you don't use repellant in the mornings and just before dusk.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
reviews: 24
3. Re: jellyfish at the Fiesta Premier

We stayed at the Fiesta Premier Dec 19 - 26. There was only one day during the entire week that we recall anyone encountering jellyfish; resort staff recommended guests not go in the water after a few snorklers and swimmers got mild stings. Nevertheless, some snorklers and swimmers did go back in and appeared enjoy the water wiithout any problems. It was quite windy that particular day, so we thought perhaps the strong winds had something to do with the sudden appearance of jellyfish. The water was wonderful every other day, both at the resort beach and at the beautiful deserted beach a short walk down the coast from the spa area of the resort.

We didn't see a single mosquito the entire week.

The no-see-ums were a different story altogether. My travel partner got attacked by the nasty things every day, suffering dozens of annoying bites to the arms and legs, despite wearing insect repellant. We noticed quite a few other people with multiple bite marks on their legs and arms, too. I was lucky; the bugs left me alone.

If you're susceptible to bug bites, I recommend you be sure to pack some creams or ointments to relieve bites and itching, and perhaps even some antihistamines like Benadryl, since the gift shop at the resort doesn't sell any products of that nature.

Toronto On
4. Re: jellyfish at the Fiesta Premier

wmac, Did you go to Fiesta Premier? If so, were jellyfish and no-see-ums a problem? My family and I are set to go there in December and I am concerned. Also, How were the rooms?

Alexandria, VA
reviews: 2
5. Re: jellyfish at the Fiesta Premier

There is a sunscreen available that contains jellyfish repellant. It really works -- my son and his crazy cousins volunteered and went into a mess of jellyfish and did not get stung. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it, but I'm sure an internet search will lead you to it.

Sandy

California
reviews: 1
6. Re: jellyfish at the Fiesta Premier

To Coldincanada, yes we went to the Fiesta Premier last February. The resort was really beautiful. There are two sides, one is the adult side with hammocks on the trees and very quiet, kind of zen like. And the other side had the activities, the main pool and restaurant. There is a shuttle that will drive you around if you're not up to walking up and down the hills. I would definately go again. The only thing I wish is that we would have gone when it was a bit more green. In February it was very dry, the hills were brown (it reminded me of S. Calif. where I live) . I love the greenery and humidity. But if you're coming from Canada you'll probably love it. It was warm, but not too hot.. The food was o.k. and you have to have patience when eating at the restaurant on the adult side, they were kind of slow. The buffet at dinner was pretty good though. I don't think we ever went in the water and I'm sorry, I really don't remember if there were jellyfish. I'm assuming there must have been because normally I would be swimming in the ocean. If you're looking for a relaxing resort I think you'll like this place.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
reviews: 24
7. Re: jellyfish at the Fiesta Premier

ColdinCanada, I recently got around to posting in my online photo albums several dozen pictures we took during our stay at the Fiesta Premier. You can view the pics in the albums entitled "Costa Rica 2005: Fiesta Premier Resort" at the following link: http://community.webshots.com/user/donnyb1507

calgary,ab
reviews: 48
8. Re: jellyfish at the Fiesta Premier

Hi I stayed at the premier fiesta last April for one week.

We did find that the last 4 days of our trip we could not go into the water because of the jellyfish.

I would recommend this resort for couples, and families with children .The food was very good and the staff exceptional,the best

i have ever encountered at an all-inclusive.

I have teenagers so i have chosen to return to a larger resort where there will be more for kids to do at playa conchal.

9. Re: jellyfish at the Fiesta Premier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, August 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Playa Hermosa