We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Grande or Nosara for a surf trip in April

Which Playa Grande hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia Beach,VA
reviews: 11
Playa Grande or Nosara for a surf trip in April

We are traveling to Costa Rica in April for a surfing vacation. Our son is an intermediate to advanced surfer. Should we travel to Playa Grande or Nosara? Thank you!

Playa Conchal...
reviews: 54
1. Re: Playa Grande or Nosara for a surf trip in April

Playa Grande is beautiful but pretty isolated. Great for surfers and those seeking relaxation, but not much else going on. Of course for some this may be perfect, but those seeking a better selection of accommodations and restaurants should look across the estuary to Playa Tamarindo.

If you do base yourself in Grande, there is a service to take you the very short distance across to Tamarindo by 'lancha' or small boat. Vice verse, if you stay in Tamarindo surfers usually paddle across the estuary to Grande on their boards.

I'm sure someone else will provide Nosara info, so that you can make an informed decision aided by those who best know these areas.

http://www.hotelbulabula.com/

http://www.lastortugashotel.com/

www.footprintscostarica.com/index.php?reg=2

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 4
2. Re: Playa Grande or Nosara for a surf trip in April

I think Nosara, Playa Guiones, has the most consistent wave in Costa Rica, there is a wave there for every level of surfing. You can surf at Playa Pelada,

or the river mouth too, and you dont really have to wait for the tides as much as other breaks on the Pacific, usually better though in the morning and afternoon, when there is usually a nice offshore breeze.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 2
3. Re: Playa Grande or Nosara for a surf trip in April

Yes, as Cubanon says, Guiones has very consistant waves, and April is great. This is why I moved here...or I should say this is why my husband moved here..I just followed. LOL. If you want seriously built up atmosphere with fast food restaurants, Tamarindo is the place. If you want great waves and less people, with plenty of restaurants, tours, etc., then Nosara is for you.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: Playa Grande or Nosara for a surf trip in April

Dear RunnerMom

NOSARA is such a nice plac.e good waves to run...nice people around GO FOR IT!

roadadvisor

Tamarindo
reviews: 10
5. Re: Playa Grande or Nosara for a surf trip in April

Here's a site all about surfing at Playa Grande: http://www.surfingplayagrande.com/

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 2
6. Re: Playa Grande or Nosara for a surf trip in April

and here is a site for Nosara....

http://www.surfingnosara.com/

Have fun deciding!

Austin, Texas
reviews: 16
7. Re: Playa Grande or Nosara for a surf trip in April

All depends on what you expect out of this trip.

Nosara is nice! Somewhat off the beaten path. You'll get the true Costa Rica feel here. There is a nice community there, restaurants, bar, etc. But small and relatively quiet. No real nightlife, or shopping to speak of. Excellent waves, huge beach and to me prettier than the other option.

Tamarindo has all the nightlife, restaurants, bars, shops, people. Its fun but it is busier. It would make a good base to visit both Playa Grande and Nosara if you need a location that has more "action" and you have your own car. But if you are looking for a bit more relaxation, I'd suggest heading south to Nosara

Playa Grande is just 25m from Tamarindo and very quiet. Great beach, great waves, but pretty isolated. If you're really looking to have some private family time this may be good.

Hmm. If it were me I'd probably opt for Nosara, too.

Enjoy!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
8. Re: Playa Grande or Nosara for a surf trip in April

My vote would go for Nosara, nice waves and I dig the area.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
9. Re: Playa Grande or Nosara for a surf trip in April

Or split the vacation between Nosara and Playa Grande!

roadadvisor

Rocky Mtns
reviews: 20
10. Re: Playa Grande or Nosara for a surf trip in April

We were in nosara in Jan 07 after visiting arenal and monteverde. We stayed in a townhouse complex with large pool in pelada and had a car to get to guiones and to restaurants etc. Great beaches, fun people, loved the yoga institute. Plenty of restaurant options. Very dusty.

This April we are flying in to Liberia and staying at a small (2 br 1 bath) villa with shared pool in palm beach estates at playa grande. We are not renting a car...just beach cruiser bikes to get around and using the water taxi to adventure to tamarindo a couple times possibly. I am looking forward to walking to the beach whenever I want and enjoying a bit more laid back and quiet trip.

Edited: 10:01 am, March 10, 2012