We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling around the Nicoya Peninsula

Which Playa Grande hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 1
Snorkelling around the Nicoya Peninsula

Hi

My partner and I want to spend a quiet & relaxing 3 or 4 days by the coast on the Nicoya Peninsula in December - preferably somewhere with some good snorkelling nearby. We were thinking of somewhere like Playa Grande, Nosara or Samara. What snorkelling options are there in these areas and how rough/calm is the sea? Where else would you recommend on this stretch of coast?

We're planning to drive to the Peninsula from Santa Rosa National Park and would appreciate any advice on how long this would take. Any ideas??

Thanks!

playa grande
reviews: 11
1. Re: Snorkelling around the Nicoya Peninsula

Playa Grande is a good base if you want to go snorkeling. If you bring your own equipment you could try Playa Carbon which is about a 10 minute drive. It is an all black sand beach with so so visibility. You can also go to Conchal (they rent equipment on the beach). I have seen schools of fish without a mask. It is about 20 minutes driving. You could also take a sunset/snorkle cruise. The boats leave out of Tamarindo, but they will come pick you up for free. The cost is $75/person. They will take you out near the Catalina Islands (also a SCUBA diving spot).

I have never driven to Santa Rosa National Park, but it is about an hour to an hour and a half to Liberia from Playa Grande and the park is another 35 km north of Liberia. I would guess it will take you another hour to hour and a half to do that distance depending on the state of the roads.

napa, ca
reviews: 1
2. Re: Snorkelling around the Nicoya Peninsula

i wouldn't count on snorkelling around Nicoya-terrible visability. We had fantastic snorkling in the Oso pennisula. It was incredible. Up north-the there are very few fish and the water is so cloudy it's hard to see anything. Maybe that's why it's good for surfing????

3. Re: Snorkelling around the Nicoya Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:29 am, February 05, 2008
Salem, Massachusetts
reviews: 184
4. Re: Snorkelling around the Nicoya Peninsula

Sunset snorkle boat. We are staying at Los Tortugas, I wonder if the boat will come over there to pick us up. I would love to do this. Does anyone know the name of the boat and how to reach them? Do they have a website? Gracias!

playa grande
5. Re: Snorkelling around the Nicoya Peninsula

Here is the website for the Marlin del Rey, http://www.marlindelrey.com/. They leave everyday at around 1:30p.m. and return about 6:00p.m. They do not pick up in Grande, but will pick you up on the other side of the estuary if you take the boat taxi over, although it is a bit of a hike from Tortugas. You could maybe take a taxi down to the other end of town or try walking the road/monkey trail to cut the time down.

Salem, Massachusetts
reviews: 184
6. Re: Snorkelling around the Nicoya Peninsula

Thanks PG girl. Do you know if it is safe to walk across the estuary? If not, do you have to reserve the boat taxi in advance or just jump on board?

Anne

playa grande
7. Re: Snorkelling around the Nicoya Peninsula

If it is a low low tide you can walk across the estuary, if not I would not recommend it. It is wider than it looks and there is quite a strong current trying to pull you out to sea. In addition, there are crocodiles that live in the estuary.

You do not have to reserve the boat taxi, they run from 7am to 4pm. If you catch the boat at the shortest point you can wave a boat over from Tamarindo and the cost should be about a $1. If you catch the boat from Bula, if there is no one there you can ask the guys at Bula to call one over for you, and sometimes there is a driver sitting in the bar there. The cost is about $2 to cross from Bula.

Ahsahka, Idaho
reviews: 12
8. Re: Snorkelling around the Nicoya Peninsula

Snorkleing is not the greatest on the Pacific side due to wave action. Snorkle at low tide for the best water, get a copy of the tide tables. By all means, if you like snorkleing, do it!! We have snorkled all over and while it is not Hawaii it is still great if you pick your times. Samara, snorkle the south end of the beach, and Chora Island. You can rent kayaks to get to the island. Carrillo, snorkle the north end of the beach around the rocks, also the far south end. We see a lot of different fish, octupus, an occasional marine snake, and many different shells. I carry an underwater camera and have gotten some great shots. Go to google earth and check out the coves, you can see where the surf breaks and where the calm water is to get an idea of different spots before hand. It's a way to go discover new ( and often less populated) beaches !

9. Re: Snorkelling around the Nicoya Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, September 18, 2009