We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week in Playas del Coco, What should we see and do?

Which Playas del Coco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Napanee, Canada
reviews: 27
One week in Playas del Coco, What should we see and do?

I will be staying in Playas del Coco for one week in March along with my 2 sisters and mom. We are celebrating my mom's 70th birthday. We love snorkelling, hiking, wildlife, gardens, art, exploring and keeping active. We would love to see monkeys! Is the snorkelling any good?

What should we not miss seeing or doing in one week?

We plan to rent a car based on the recommendation of the owner of Rancho Armadillo. I hope it will be safe for us driving.

Any tips or suggestions?

St. Thomas
reviews: 13
1. Re: One week in Playas del Coco, What should we see and do?

i stayed in playa del coco. it was nice and relaxing there. We did some tours. The adventure tour in guadechepelin was alot of fun but it may be too much for your 70 year old mother.

We also did the colonial Nicuargua Tour. I would reccomend it.

There isnt much happening at playa del coco. Theres some bars and restaurants and a beach. The beach is cool but I am more accustomed to white sand beaches.

If you bathe with wash clothes bring some from home. They dont use wash clothes in costa rica.

Napanee, Canada
2. Re: One week in Playas del Coco, What should we see and do?

Thanks for the tips. I was wondering about the day tour to Nicaragua. How much time did you spend driving on this tour? I was wondering if we might feel we were in a vehicle all day???

Also/ Did you try any snorkelling at Playas del Coco?

Edmonton Canada
reviews: 38
3. Re: One week in Playas del Coco, What should we see and do?

Hattie has posted a list of recommended activities in Guanacaste- search for it, it is excellent. There is a nice art gallery (Hidden Garden) not far from Liberia airport, about 25 min from Coco, it is worth a visit. The trip to Nicaragua is long, and there is a lot to do in Guanacaste.

St. Thomas
reviews: 13
4. Re: One week in Playas del Coco, What should we see and do?

I didnt get the feeling that we wasted the day driving. There was alot of driving. I enjoyed it though. The tour guide was good and there were interesting sites. Going did not feel like alot of driving because we stopped several places. Coming back was a long drive because we drove from the last site all the way back-maybe 3 hours I think, maybe more. We left in the morning and got back late at night..

I didnt do any snorkeling on this trip and I could be wrong but playa del coco doesnt look like a beach to snorkel.

5. Re: One week in Playas del Coco, What should we see and do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:43 am, July 12, 2014
Georgetown, Canada
reviews: 9
6. Re: One week in Playas del Coco, What should we see and do?

We have been. 6 times now and love the relaxed atmosphere of this little town. Every time we go we book a full day sail with Ferritt on his 40 ft sailboat (the Polar Express). It only holds about 10 people, great lunch, relaxed day, good snorkelling and the most amazing sunsets you have ever seen. Not an expensive day either. I don't have his contact info..(the property manager at the condo we rent has always arranged it for us) but maybe someone else does?

Napanee, Canada
7. Re: One week in Playas del Coco, What should we see and do?

Gee, that sounds wonderful. I will have to look that up.

Have you done any good nature hikes with pretty scenery/and or wildlife that didn't require a 3 hours drive? We will have a car, so we will be mobile.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
8. Re: One week in Playas del Coco, What should we see and do?

Hattie's List:

1. Do the One Day Adventure Pass at Guachipelin. www.guachipelin.com

2. Visit Rincon de la Vieja National Park for hiking, volcano, waterfalls, hot springs, mud pots, etc.

3. Go horseback riding, fishing or boating

4. Visit Santa Rosa National Park and see the old farmstead known as "La Casona" - now a museum - it figures prominently in Costa Rican history. There are several nearby trails to choose from and one longish trail ends at a deserted beach.

5. Visit El Viejo Wetlands and take a boat tour through Palo Verde National Park http://www.elviejowetlands.com/

6. Take the boat to Witch's Rock for surfing or just visiting a beautiful beach.

7. Visit the town of Guatil where you can see authentic Chorotega pottery being made.

8. Head to the Tenorio National Park for the hike to the Rio Celeste.

9. Go to Llanos del Cortes waterfall. Huge waterfall with small swimming area. There are often monkeys in the trees overhead.

10. Visit Las Pumas Wildlife Rescue Center in Canas where you can see all sorts of animals, including big cats.

11. Arrange a sailing trip with the Sea Bird out of Playas del Coco. Snorkeling or just a quiet sunset cruise.

12. Take a whitewater rafting trip on the Tenorio River or a float trip on the Corobici River. www.rinconcorobici.com

13. Take a whitewater rafting trip on the Cucaracho River riostropicales.com/index.php/…cucaracho-river

Napanee, Canada
9. Re: One week in Playas del Coco, What should we see and do?

Thanks for your list Hattie. Out of your list above, if you had to pick one hike not to miss (beautiful scenery/and or wildlife), that does not require many hours of driving, which one would you choose?

Playas del Coco...
10. Re: One week in Playas del Coco, What should we see and do?

We spent 2 months in Playas del Coco and are going back for more!! Hattie's list (see above) is excellent. We had a more leisurely time since we were there for so long, and knew we were going to be doing a big 9 day tour of CR later (through Caravan tours, which is fabulous).

I was disappointed with the snorkelling this year. Last January, I had some good snorkelling at Playa Ocotal and at Vez Pela, which is just south of there. This Vez Pela has a great pool, and nice dining room, where we spent an afternoon/evening. That day is was too rough to snorkel too, but you can try it. There are great places to eat in Coco....Papagayos Seafood...the evening fish special is usually mahi mahi, and you get a very good portion including a nice salad for $10 + tax. There are about 10 ways they can prepare the fish for you. At Papgayos, you can also buy your own fish...go upstairs, order your fresh fish (probably caught that morning), and someone will throw it up to you through the little window into the office!! Best fish we've eaten there. You've got to go to La Vida Loca, (even your 70 yr old grandma)....it is an experience just walking over the "rickety bridge"....live music some Sat. nights, and they have great Schnitzel on Sundays. On Wed. nights at Coconutz, you can see a recently released movie,(bootlegged of course) and have all you can eat pizza, salad, pasta and sauce for $10.00....the drinks are only $1.80 during happy hour. Lots of Canadians, and Americans there. Have fun in Playas del Coco.