We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crowds during Easter week

Which Playas del Coco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 17
crowds during Easter week

Last year during easter week, we visited Tamarindo. by Thursday the crowds were unbelievable and the noise at night was terrible, culminating with gun shots on Friday night! This year we would like to visit Playa del Coco and I am concerned about a negative experience there as well. Would it be queiter to stay in Hermosa or can I stay in Coco and still enjoy some peaceful evenings. we will be traveling with my daughter and her family of 3 boys ages 10, 12 and 13.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: crowds during Easter week

I would recommend Playa Hermosa. Playas del Coco is smaller than Tamarindo but still can be a "party place" during times like Semana Santa. Hermosa would be much quieter.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: crowds during Easter week

I agree w/ Hattie, Playa Hermosa would be much more quiet than Playas del Coco. Still, in addition to all the tourists, Costa Ricans are on holiday, and all of the beach destinations fill up. You might try something even more remote, like Sugar Beach...

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 47
3. Re: crowds during Easter week

I would be willing to bet that the "gunshots" were actually fireworks. Ticos love fireworks at any occasion.

4. Re: crowds during Easter week

Thank you for your quick response.

5. Re: crowds during Easter week

Thank you Eliot. My son-in-law is interested in fishing for Roosterfish. Any good recommendations?

Riverside, CA
reviews: 5
6. Re: crowds during Easter week

I agree with Eliot above. You and your children would really enjoy Sugar Beach Hotel . It has its own road and therefore the beach is pretty much just hotel guests. If you have a car you can visit Flamingo etc. or just hang out at the "private" quiet beach in front of hotel. Swimming pool and boogie boards provided! Lovely place.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
7. Re: crowds during Easter week

Sugar Beach would be a great alternative if you want solitude. Playa Hermosa will be busy but it is not a "party" town. Either one would be fine - depends on what you are looking for.

Virginia
reviews: 67
8. Re: crowds during Easter week

I'm not a destination expert but I did extensive research on all of the Guanacaste areas (with the help of the TA experts) and decided on this rental in Bahia Pez Vela in Playa Ocotal for our first trip to CR this Christmas/New Years. From what I can tell this is near Coco but also a quiet neighborhood. Even if you aren't interested in this place, I would think that a VRBO/house would be a nice set up for your family.

homeaway.com/vacation-rental/reviews/p178177

guanacaste
reviews: 36
9. Re: crowds during Easter week

I am sure that the noise was fireworks, for sure.

About the crowds, in the heart of downtown Tamarindo yes, but next door, Langosta is very quiet.

About Playa Hermosa , yes it is much more quiet than Coco.

10. Re: crowds during Easter week

Thank you