We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking Water

Which Playas del Coco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
25 miles north of...
reviews: 6
Drinking Water

My wife and I have rented a condo in Playa del Coco for 1 month mid Feb-March. This is our first time to Costa Rica. When I asked the landlord where to get our drinking water we were told it was good to drink right out of the tap.---Can this be true??? If so is it safe to drink water any where there or should we be buying bottled water???

Oklahoma City...
reviews: 66
1. Re: Drinking Water

We drink water from the tap everytime we are in Costa Rica. Many times when I order water in a restaurant I ask for tap water rather than having another plastic bottle to throw away. The people in Costa Rica will tell you if there is a problem with their water anyplace you go.

Costa Rica
reviews: 7
2. Re: Drinking Water

The water is very good here! Don't waste the plastic and money for bottled water. The water is rich in calcium and minerals.

I get this question a lot so I put an article about it on our page;

www.seabirdsailingexcursions.com/map.php

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
3. Re: Drinking Water

Yes to the above! And you can bring a sports bottle to fill and refill to avoid buying bottles when out!

25 miles north of...
4. Re: Drinking Water

Thanks for all your replies----We have been to other countries where you don,t dare drink anything other than bottled water.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
5. Re: Drinking Water

Do ask where you are staying though - some places out in the sticks may have well water and that may not be good for you to drink.

Have a good (and healthy) trip!

San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 3
6. Re: Drinking Water

A little more than 4,000.000 people drink our water daily...and so far so good...!

roadadvisor

25 miles north of...
7. Re: Drinking Water

We are staying right in Playa del Coco, so we won,t be drinking out of a well I,m sure. Good to know the drinking water is safe . One less headache to worry about finding and buying fresh clean water.--THANKS

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 4
8. Re: Drinking Water

Not only is it safe to drink in Coco, it's FREE! Restaurants will charge you for bottled water so be sure to ask for tap.

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
9. Re: Drinking Water

Great point Allylam, siempre, vaso de agua, saving the landfill space one plastic bottle at a time.

Tamarindo, Costa...
10. Re: Drinking Water

Hi there, so I'd hate to go against what everyone is saying, but I do feel I should warn people that water, although legally potable, is only controlled by the government agencies up until the property line. Water can often times be mistreated after the public system. Water quality also depends on how well the property maintains their internal water system and water storage. It is always best to ask employees at a property whether or not they drink the tap water. Although 95% of properties do the proper maintenance, I have gotten a little stomach ache after drinking water at some off-the-beaten path properties. I'm sure that playas del coco should be fine, but just keep a lookout if you are in some other areas!