We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Some Urgent Suggestion...

Which Playas del Coco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 68
Need Some Urgent Suggestion...

I am arriving at San Jose airport in a few weeks. I just found out the distance between San Jose and Playas del Coco, Guanacaste is approximately 3 hours to 4 hours, (if I don't get lost). It is too late to cancel on my airlines tickets and on the contract for the rental agreement for the apartment. I was under the impression that I needed to stay around San Jose to see what Costa Rica had to offer. We like trying out the local food getting to know points of interest such as ruins, monuments, churches, etc. We also like to go to the local malls, etc.

Any suggestions please help. Thank You

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Need Some Urgent Suggestion...

It is a 4 hour drive from San Jose to Coco Beach but you should not really get lost if you are driving, getting a gps might be a good idea. If you are not renting a car and you arrive to San Jose late you can stay at a hotel close to Alajuela and use a shared shuttle the following day. There are many things that you can do from Coco Beach besides spending time on the beach, you can visit Palo Verde Park, Rincon de la vieja Volcano, Santa Rosa Volcano, visit the Liberia town etc.

CALI
reviews: 12
2. Re: Need Some Urgent Suggestion...

What airline? what code was your ticket, verbally call the airline

what contract for hotel or condo? i recommend contacting them.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
3. Re: Need Some Urgent Suggestion...

Rekon - you won't have any problems driving from SJO to Playas del Coco. It's a longish drive, but it's hard to get lost. There are a number of nice places you can stop for a rest or a meal.

From Playas del Coco, you can experience all the things that make Costa Rica the country that it is. Beach, volcano, rainforest, rivers, waterfalls, hot springs - and all within 2 hours of Playas del Coco.

If you are really concerned about the drive, you can take a commuter flight from SJO to Liberia and rent a car there. Playas del Coco is only about 30 minutes from the airport in Liberia, LIR. Both Sansa Airlines and Nature Air have commuter flights.

Don't even think about cancelling your vacation!

California
reviews: 68
4. Re: Need Some Urgent Suggestion...

Thank You for the advice. I never thought that angle of taking a commuter fight to Liberia. Muchas Gracias. Thank You

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
5. Re: Need Some Urgent Suggestion...

You're welcome. Let us know if we can help you further -- I know you will have a great time.

Ontario Canada
reviews: 1
6. Re: Need Some Urgent Suggestion...

I spent four months ( Jan-Apr 2010) and( Feb-Mar 2011). in Playas del Coco. It is a 4 hr drive from SJ but a good highway so you won't get lost. I would rent a car so you can visit Arenal, Monteverde, Tamarindo/ Grande, Nosara areas. Manuel Antonio NP is also very pretty. You don't want to spend all your time in Coco.

San Diego...
reviews: 17
7. Re: Need Some Urgent Suggestion...

I was told volcano, rainforest, rivers, waterfalls, hot springs are four hours one way from Playa del Coco??? That would eliminate so much for us unless there are rafting, zip line and hot springs? thank you so much leaving in three days.

San Jose, Costa Rica
8. Re: Need Some Urgent Suggestion...

You can vist Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin by Rincon de la Vieja volcano just about 1.5 hours ride from Coco´s...

roadadvisor

Ontario Canada
9. Re: Need Some Urgent Suggestion...

Arenal and La Fortuna are about a 3 hr drive from Coco on a good road mostly ( a couple bad spots probably after Nuevo Arenal). Just before La Fortuna there is EcoGlide ziplining which I did. I also went river rafting on Rio Balsa through da Silva tours in La Fortuna. da Silva gets high ratings for its services. Off Pan American Hwy 1/2 hr S of Liberia there is the Cataratas de Cortes ( beautiful waterfall and swimming hole). Spent many hours there. Locals and hotel operators can give you directions. Just give a donation for school for entry.

Hiked the Rincon to waterfalls. The Hacienda is probably best tour close to Coco. Has ziplining, horseback riding, mud baths, rappelling , lunch all in a day at reasonable rate. You should enjoy Guanacaste this time of year (Green Season)

Miami Beach, Florida
10. Re: Need Some Urgent Suggestion...

Try a shuttle service like Internbus or Grayline Costa Rica to get to Coco. I've used both companies plenty of times.

If you rented in Las Palmas condo community Internbus will drop you off at entrance. There's a small store, cafes, and other places to wait for someone to pick you up. Taxi go in and out regularly there.

If it's several people you can hire a private driver to take you there.