We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Playa Conchal update

Which Playa Conchal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Westin Playa Conchal update

Just got back from a December 24 - 31 stay at the Westin. Here's my observations:

Restaurants - according to the sheet that we received under our door on the 30th, all of the restaurants are now open. I can't verify that as we are timeshare owners and don't frequent the restaurants normally. I do know that the Reserva Conchal Beach Club restaurant is still available to hotel guests, as we did have dinner there. And the lobby restaurant is still being used for dinners as well. So - lots of choices.

Construction - about 6 or 8 of the 8-plex buildings are still closed for renovations. They are along the 18th fairway and across the street. Didn't hear any construction noise at all.

Renovations - Generally, I'd say the renovations are an improvement. I'm speaking specifically about the 8-plexes, not the Royal Service buildings. Replacing the tub/showers with large showers is a big improvement. Putting the toilet in its own space separate from the shower is good. However, having a door on the toilet that doesn't go to either the floor or the ceiling is not good at all. There's just no privacy. Some things shouldn't have to be heard by everyone in the unit. Really like the changes to the entrance and parking area. Also the lobby.

Occupancy - I have to say it wasn't busy at all. We have been there about 15 times from December to March, and this was about as quiet as we've seen it.

Service - I'd say the service has improved across the board under the Westin banner. Certainly we received better service from the front desk people and the concierges.

Timeshare units - Some of the units used to have a granite "breakfast bar" separating the kitchen and living area. Those have been removed in the renovations. That's unfortunate.

Toronto
31. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

We always rent a car at the airport. It's much cheaper than renting it at the hotel, plus then you save the taxi or shuttle costs. We normally use Dollar. If you book through www.dollarcostarica.com you will get an all-in price, inclusive of insurance. No hassles.

If anyone has any Westin questions, we're leaving this Saturday for a week. I'll be happy to check things out for you.

Waikoloa, Hawaii...
reviews: 2
32. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

Thank you for your fast answer. I'm sure you are counting down the 2 days you have before you leave for your trip. Not sure if I need to add insurance to the car. My discover card has car insurance coverage when i use it for renting cars. Not sure if it only covers the US, I will call them to check if it covers Costa Rica. Have a great time.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
33. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

Sherry: It is possible that your credit card will cover part of your insurance, but there is a mandatory liability insurance that you must pay for no matter what other insurance you have. It runs $10-$20 depending on the car, etc. Many car rental agencies include this in their quote but some do not.

Toronto
34. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

Your card might cover the CDW, but you still have to take the mandatory liability, as Hattie noted.

You should check on the CDW coverage with your card issuer, however, as some cards do not cover Costa Rica

Torrance, California
reviews: 1
35. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

Hi there. I'm sorry if you have been asked this question before. I'm an RCI member trading to a ONE BEDROOM at the Reserva Conchal. Didn't realize how rare this was until I read your thread. Absolutely confused with all of this Westin stuff. I hear one person calling the RCI unit a "bungalow" closer to the beach and less desireable than staying in the "condos or hotel". Can you please clarify? I haven't seen any pics of these bungalows on the RCI site or on trip advisor.

Also, with respect to the one bedroom, I read your post that says that the one bedroom is really like a lock-out unit and that certainly corresponds to the description of what RCI says about the 2 bathrooms; however, the pictures on RCI show wide open spaces with no bedroom privacy, so just a little confused.

If we have the option to get all inclusive, would you recommend it considering we may be very far from the food?

The grand finale......roaches? Did you see any? My family is actually from CR and I went there yearly til i was 18----then decided I could no longer handle those nasty things and never returned....but my family has long been wanting to check out their roots. (dang roaches have kept me away).

Thank you for all of your help.

New York City, New...
36. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

Just curious, does anyone have a week available for Febuary 15 -22, 2014? We are trying to get a group to go there.

New York City, New...
37. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

Just curious, does anyone have a week available and willing to negotiate for this resort on February 15 - 22, 2014?

Toronto
38. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

Veronica R,

I don't know why anyone would call the units "bungalows". They are not. There is only 1 building that is available for timeshare people, building #6. It's a square 8-plex, 4 lower and 4 upper units. Every unit is a corner unit. The one bedroom is basically 2 adjoining studio units. Within each unit, yes the sleeping area is open (but separate) from the living area and kitchen. But, there is a door between the two units, so each unit is private. So, the sleeping areas are private from each other as are the bathrooms and the living areas. IMO, building #6 has the best location in the resort.

Roaches are what they are, and it's the tropics. Having said that, the units are exceptionally clean and bug free. Occasionally one might find its way in, but not much you can do about it other than show him the way out. Normally, we never see any bugs at all in the units.

The AI is a personal preference thing. Some always do it, we never do it. We've been going once or twice a year since it opened in the '90s. Partly because it's not a good value for us (my wife doesn't drink), but mostly because we like the local restaurants. It's not a long walk, or it's a cheap cab ride. Some even pick you up and drop you off.

Torrance, California
39. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

Rancho Colinas,

Thank you so much for all of the information. You are great!

We're going to be there August 17th-24th...we can't wait!

McBride, Canada
40. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

Hi I am looking at buying a timeshare this is a week floating red season. We travel for 4 weeks at a time do you think I will have trouble booking this. Our timeshare is at playa conchal vacation club. New to timeshare!