We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Playa Conchal update

Which Playa Conchal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Westin Playa Conchal update

Just got back from a December 24 - 31 stay at the Westin. Here's my observations:

Restaurants - according to the sheet that we received under our door on the 30th, all of the restaurants are now open. I can't verify that as we are timeshare owners and don't frequent the restaurants normally. I do know that the Reserva Conchal Beach Club restaurant is still available to hotel guests, as we did have dinner there. And the lobby restaurant is still being used for dinners as well. So - lots of choices.

Construction - about 6 or 8 of the 8-plex buildings are still closed for renovations. They are along the 18th fairway and across the street. Didn't hear any construction noise at all.

Renovations - Generally, I'd say the renovations are an improvement. I'm speaking specifically about the 8-plexes, not the Royal Service buildings. Replacing the tub/showers with large showers is a big improvement. Putting the toilet in its own space separate from the shower is good. However, having a door on the toilet that doesn't go to either the floor or the ceiling is not good at all. There's just no privacy. Some things shouldn't have to be heard by everyone in the unit. Really like the changes to the entrance and parking area. Also the lobby.

Occupancy - I have to say it wasn't busy at all. We have been there about 15 times from December to March, and this was about as quiet as we've seen it.

Service - I'd say the service has improved across the board under the Westin banner. Certainly we received better service from the front desk people and the concierges.

Timeshare units - Some of the units used to have a granite "breakfast bar" separating the kitchen and living area. Those have been removed in the renovations. That's unfortunate.

Tomball, Texas
reviews: 25
1. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

I have clients honeymooning there in April. I hope the construction is complete by then!

Austin, Texas
reviews: 23
2. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

RanchosLasColinas, is your timeshare directly with Westin or a seperate agency? We will be visiting CR for the first time in June & will be using a friend's RCI timeshare at Reserva Conchal. Are the two on the same property? Do you know if the Reserva guests are allowed use of the amenities at the Westin? Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

Thank you for the update...I visted some firiends staying there ...and as always was a great visit...

roadadvisor

Toronto
4. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

The property that RCI calls the Reserva Conchal Vacation Club is indeed the same property that I reviewed, and it is what our timeshare is now called. It's a little confusing, because Reserva Conchal generally refers to the condos surrounding the resort, and not the resort itself. But the timeshares are actually in the resort, so yes, you have access to everything, and will be in the resort with everyone else. The only thing that might differentiate you from the regular hotel patrons might be the colour of your wristband.

RCI says that the all-inclusive is mandatory, but the timeshare owners don't have to take it if they don't want to. I'm not sure about guests. I'm betting that they won't even know that you are guests. In any case, it's $85 pp/pd, which is very reasonable if you are so inclined. If you're not going to take the all-inclusive, then DO NOT EAT AT THE RESORT. It will cost you way more than $85 pp/pd if you do. The breakfast buffet is about $30, and a room service cheeseburger is over $20. I kid you not. I just paid for one. 9,000 colones, plus tax, plus servicio, plus room service delivery charge. Ouch.

We never eat there, but we always have a car, so it's easy to get to the local restaurants.

They do let you take the AI for only a portion of your stay, but it has to be either at the beginning or the end. So you could try the AI for 3 days, then switch, or continue on AI if you want. Some local restaurants will pick you up for free, but a cab is less than 10 bucks.

Westin does not own the property, nor do they have anything to do with the timeshares. They just manage the property.

You will be in Building #6, which is the best one on the property IMHO. It's right on the 18th fairway at the tee and close to the stores, pool and restaurants. Request room 4067 or 4063 if you can. They have the best views.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 23
5. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

Thanks so much! You are awesome! Our friend has us listed with RCI as "guest" so I'm assuming they'll know who we are; then again, you know what happens when you assume. Thanks for all the info!

Lake Havasu City...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
reviews: 5
6. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

Thank You RLC for taking your time for posting all the good information and update on the Westin Conchal and Reserva Conchal is much appreciated.

PPC
7. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

Many thanks to you for the update on our timeshare situation. They have never provided us with the changes that might occur so this makes me feel better knowing that maye things haven't changed much.

I am writing this in May so I am wondering if anyone knows if this information is still accurate. We have not gone for 3 years now as we have a daughter in college, but are planning to go next year, 2013. We haven't yet banked this year's week so I am wondering if they might allow us to book it for the beginning of next year. I am questioning this because, up until 2008, we have gone every year and the remaining years we have simply banked with RCI, losing several of them already.

We love our timeshare ut have been very freustrated at the lack of any real information available to us as timeshare owners.

Toronto
8. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

fayandchris,

The information (except for the construction) is still accurate.

There are few timeshare weeks still available for 2012. June 2nd, a week or two in September and October and a couple of weeks at the beginning of December. There is a very good chance that you can book your 2012 week in early 2013. Resorts Advantage has been much more flexible in the last couple of years. Ask for Alex.

If you happen to own a one bedroom, they are opening up a couple of new units in 2013. Until now there has only been one unit available to book. I have a friend using one of our units in early June, so I'll get an update on the construction and restaurants.

Memphis, Tennessee
reviews: 13
9. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

RanchoLasColinas,

if you would post your friends' experience in early June, would really appreciate it. my son and his wife are looking at taking a honeymoon - delayed due to being first year medical residents - in late October. R

ight now RCI is showing a unit available at the Reserva Conchal Vacation Club. His godmother gave him an RCI week for a wedding gift.

He wants to make sure they find a relaxing peaceful place, as they have been dealing with bedbugs in their NYC apartment while working 80 hour weeks!

Appreciate any input.

Toronto
10. Re: Westin Playa Conchal update

She gets back today. I'll check with her tomorrow.