We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in Costa

Which Nicoya hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 5
Travel in Costa

I have a 2 week trip planned out in January. I want to jump around from place to place...is it better and more cost efficient to rent a 4x4 or take shuttles and buses?

I wanna try to hit Tamarindo, Mal Pais, St Teresa, Montezuma, Arenal and my flights in and out are from Liberia.

Thanks!

Tamarindo, Costa...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Travel in Costa

J: You will certainly have more freedom of movement with a car rental but it's not a cheap option. Do your homework by reading extensive postings on this forum about driving in CR before deciding.

There are shared shuttles like Grayline and Interbus that go to the major attractions around the country but not off the beaten path. There is a daily shuttle out of Tamarindo at 9:00 am that goes down to Mal Pais and Montezuma - $45 pp

Local buses are very reliable but time consuming. Here you have to decide between time and money - you can't have fast and cheap ;)

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Travel in Costa

Dear JDavis

Shuttles and buses in some sections are good...but in your case like around the tip of the Peninsula are hard to catch sometimes...

I really do not know in your case about cost efficient ...but you can save time and some money renting a car...

Januray is dry season...most of the places you mentioned can do it with a regualr car...and maybe save some money since a small 4x4 can run about $ 359.00 a week including basic insurance per week!

roadadvisor

3. Re: Travel in Costa

What about taking a bus/shuttle from Tamarindo to St Teresa and renting a car there...using it around the tip of the peninsula and drive it back to Liberia?

I see that a bus/shuttle from Mal Pais to Liberia is $200/person so a car rental would be cheaper. Is this an option or do small places like St Teresa not offer car rental?

4. Re: Travel in Costa

Maybe renting a car IS a good idea!!!

I figure that I will stay in my first location for the first 5 days of our 14 day trip...

After those 5 days we rent a car for the remaining time and travel at will.

Is the traveling between Tamarindo and Mal Pais/St Teresa difficult and are the roads manageable? What type of vehicle should I rent?

Tamarindo, Costa...
reviews: 8
5. Re: Travel in Costa

In January you shouldn't have any trouble. The roads 'should' be graded. If you want to play it safe get a small SUV like a Dhaihatsu Bego or Jimmy so you have the extra clearance underneath.

6. Re: Travel in Costa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 08, 2012