We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Costa Rica

Which Liberia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nebraska
reviews: 1
Tipping in Costa Rica

Quick question for those of you who have traveled to Costa Rica. My husband's cousin married a lady from Costa Rica and she says not to tip as it is all included. Is that a hard and fast rule or is it appreciated if they are doing a good job. I just don't want to offend anyone if they really don't want me to tip:)

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
41. Re: Tipping in Costa Rica

Whatever you feel like leaving, really. Starting from nothing and going from there. Maybe a dollar or two each day for each person. However, if you are renting a villa and there are 6 or 8 or 10 people in your party and you are messy, then tip the maid more.

La Fortuna de San...
42. Re: Tipping in Costa Rica

Well! if they are doing a good job and you think the deserve a Good tip! they will apreciate it!

Ticos payment is not good enough!

Pura Vida!

Wadsworth, Illinois
reviews: 15
43. Re: Tipping in Costa Rica

We are in Tamarindo now. We just ate at a nice restaurant and the service fee of 10% was included in bill. But there is another line for tip. This confused us so we left an extra amount, almost 10%. She gave excellent service and was very helpful in suggestng something "not fish" for my husband. We were use to other foreign countries that do no expect tips, so we always look for the service fee on our checks.

Heredia, Costa Rica
44. Re: Tipping in Costa Rica

I have lived here 23 years and know for SURE that Ticos get upset by Tourists who leave tips, thinking there fore THEY also would be expected .Our rule of thumb ,knowing that they get 10% of the bill (Sometimes a little more ) is that we leave the small change after paying in cash, and nothing as a rule if paying with Credit card

Have fun

Heredia, Costa Rica
45. Re: Tipping in Costa Rica

Yes for maids I think it is normal to give a good tip ..about 10%

Have fun

Heredia, Costa Rica
46. Re: Tipping in Costa Rica

REMEMBER we are NOT in USA or other countries I believe in "When in Rome ..Do as the Romans do" and this is from a very often part time waitress while studying in Europe and USA

Enjoy!

Edited: 8:45 pm, February 10, 2014
tucson, az
reviews: 6
47. Re: Tipping in Costa Rica

>>Another FYI - T.I.P.S. stood for To Insure Prompt Service and was paid up front to the matron who seated you.<<

That's an urban legend.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 109
48. Re: Tipping in Costa Rica

Wow...., a lot of varied responses here. One thing I noticed when living in Seattle, is that the tips from Canadian citizens was substantially less than that from US citizens. To say, "I always tip" is a little nebulous if you don't provide a dollar amount or percentage.

I, too, would like to know the proper tipping amount for guides. Is it a straight $10 or $20, or is it more of a percentage thing? How about for a car ride from SJO to Manuel Antonio? I do not tip maids in the US 10% of my bill. That seems completely excessive.

How about people that arrange activities? I have read where they are already making money by selling the activity (this was from a very active CR forum poster, posted about 4 years ago). Yet, one of the "informational" letters from the concierge of our house rental stated I should be sure to tip the maid and concierge. How much do I tip him?

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

49. Re: Tipping in Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 27, 2015