We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tourists being hassled at coco beach

Which Liberia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ontario
reviews: 16
tourists being hassled at coco beach

As I walked up to the Coco beach board walk to take a picture my wife noticed a younger girl, the ones that are selling those bird whistles around there, walk quietly right up behind me very close to my back pack. She was scared off and left.

Withing a minute of walking on Coco Beach board walk an older lady with a large brimmed hat and light skin with American accent approached my wife and started to talk in English as if she remembered us from somewhere. We said we didn't know her. After a few mintues she wanted to know if we were going to be at the party and she showed us some religious booklets. We said no and she left and re-joined her other friends hiding a little distance away.

A short while later we were approached from behind by a very darkly tanned man with American accent and sunglasses riding a bike. He was yelling in English only at us from behind and started to say something about if we were going to go somewhwere to some place later for a group part. I stopped him from talking more and said no. He was angry and cursed at us before leaving. Then I saw him ride his bike to another coupld sitting on the edge of the boardwalk.

This beach and street is a pure tourist trap and I wouldn't recommend it.

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
1. Re: tourists being hassled at coco beach

Sounds like you had a unlucky day! An encounter with three people as you walked along the "promenade." I don't think I would then characterize it as a "tourist trap." You could be accosted by similar people in many places.

Mostly, when accosted by people like this, I ignore them or shake my head no. They then go away without any angst or arguing or cursing. I've experienced Costa Rican men who like to shout at "gringos" in English just to prove they can speak some English!

Here's a great video of the promenade for anyone who is interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MLJxXHA3tY

Virginia
reviews: 47
2. Re: tourists being hassled at coco beach

Thanks for sharing your experience legsbut (we have a VRBO booked in Playa Ocotal near Coco - first trip to CR later this year) ...and thanks Hattie for your input. It sounds like we just need to be prepared for different experiences - good and bad.

Thanks for sharing the video Hattie. I watched it and some other related videos and it gives me a much better idea of what to expect. didn't think of searching for Youtube videos on the areas that we plan to visit so thanks for the tip!

ontario
reviews: 16
3. Re: tourists being hassled at coco beach

Playa Ocotal and

Playa Hermosa

Of the the three beaches I visited I would recommend the two above. Much quieter, less touristy and more private. Nicer lighter color sand too. Water was great.

Haverhill...
reviews: 33
4. Re: tourists being hassled at coco beach

No problems in Coco for me...but there was a bit of pan-handling.

guanacaste
reviews: 31
5. Re: tourists being hassled at coco beach

never heard of something like this before

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: tourists being hassled at coco beach

Humm two Americans giving ahrd time to USA tourist?? That sounds more like Santa Cruz,,,California...or Miami...sorry...in mnay ways is not our style...

roadadvisor

Beaumont, Texas
reviews: 10
7. Re: tourists being hassled at coco beach

Stayed in Coco in early April. The vendors/locals were mostly unobtrusive. Ocotal and Hermosa were beautiful and glad we saw them. Drove to Tamarindo and stayed on the beach all afternoon. Made a great friend of a vendor who continued to bring me Imperial Beer on the beach. Not a negative thing to report. I want to go back!

Costa Rica
reviews: 7
8. Re: tourists being hassled at coco beach

There have been busloads, it seems, of religious people here that have come to stay for a few weeks at a time with only one purpose - to push their religious beliefs on everyone else, no matter where you're from, tourist or not. They are not here to see the beautiful country and learn about the wildlife or to hike volcanoes or to go scuba diving......only here to push their religious beliefs. They go door to door, make all the dogs in the neighborhoods go crazy, to push their beliefs on other people.

I think that is so wrong. It's not just here in Coco, they are going everywhere.

The young women and men selling the bird whistles are always around and their families make those at home themselves. They are just trying to make an honest living.

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
9. Re: tourists being hassled at coco beach

I hear you SeaBird! I've stopped trying to be polite to people like that and just say, "No." Or "I don't have time to talk to you." And I either just walk away or close my front door.

I often wonder what would happen if I actually got into a lively debate with them about various people's beliefs?

I know that people will often think that poor, benighted Costa Ricans would have a much better life if only they would adhere to __________ beliefs. But really, Costa Ricans already have faiths of all different kinds - including Islam and Buddhism and really don't need busloads of people trying to proselytize.

Just please come as a visitor and enjoy the many things here to enjoy and find your own peace and spirituality and let others find theirs. It's a great place for introspection and appreciation of everything wonderful that this planet has to offer.

10. Re: tourists being hassled at coco beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 02, 2014