We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Simple Questions re: Grand Papagayo

Which Liberia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Beaumont, TX
Simple Questions re: Grand Papagayo

Someone please help. My wife, three teenaged daughters and I will be at Grand Papagayo from June 1 to June 8, and we are preparing for trip now. Question No. 1--are men required to wear long pants in ALL restaurants at GP or are shorts okay in the buffet? Question No. 2--What tour company/operator should we use to make excursions to the volcano, cloud forest, etc. from GP? (Also if I want to make two excursions, which two would you advise?) Any advise would be appreciated.

Playa Hermosa...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Simple Questions re: Grand Papagayo

Long pants are required in the oriental and Italian Restaurants only. ( I just called )

The most popular tours right now are:

Borinquen Combo Tour - canopy, horseback riding, fantastic meal and hot springs & mud baths 1 1/2 hrs from the Grand

Palo Verde River Tour - The best for seeing wild life...a 2 hr tour through mangroves and wetland....white faced monkeys, howler monkeys, crocs,iguanas and lots of bird life. A Costa Rican meal cooked on wood stoves then shopping in Playa del Coco.

Arenal Volcano & Hot Springs - a long 3-4 hr drive each way but worth it. Rain forest hike or hanging bridges hike, Tabacon Hot Springs, lunch overlooking lake Arenal, a stop at Las Pumas Wild Cat Reserve, buffet dinner at Tabacon waiting for the volcano to erupt...burp!

Miravalles is another option and is closer. Tabacon's offers more man made gardens and hot springs where as Miravalles is "raw nature"

The Miravalles Volcano is also becoming very popular and will provide the most incredible sights of the Tropical Rain Forest. At the beginning of this hike you will cross a suspension bridge and experience a beautiful water fall, as we walk our guide will describe all the secrets of this forest and keep searching for animals and trees with epiphytes, flowers, ferns and another outstanding water fall. Next, will be a walk inside the crater of this active volcano where you can see the steamy sulfur water ponds, bubbling mud , fumaroles and try the therapeutic properties of the mud and natural hot springs.

If you still have energy you will continue with ... Canopy tour ......a network of cables, pulleys and hanging bridges that allows you to explore a fascinated ecosystem from another perspective. This canopy is located in a private reserve and would give you the feeling of been in a cloud forest .

If your daughters would like to try surfing lessons...Tamarindo is the place to go. An easy drive from the Grand 1 1/2 hrs south if you wish to rent a car. Tours are also offered here which include either ATV's riing through forests and on the beach or horseback riding.

Have fun.......you will love the Grand!

Maryland
2. Re: Simple Questions re: Grand Papagayo

i have to agree with papagayo. i would have to sugest the palo verde and mirravalles. on the palo verde tour the crocodiles swam right next to us and the monlkies actually got on the boat. it was great! we also did the miravalles volcano adventuer. first we did a canopy tour and met gorge and gorge. (although amy our guide from avispas adventures referd to one of them as gorge of the jungle...and we soon lurned why) our group was the only one on the canopy and we saw monkies, a tucan, an armadillo and a aguti. the wives of jorge and jorge cooked us a fabiolus lunch (probably one of the best we had while we were in costa rica) after lunch we took horses up to some waterfalls and then got to walk inside the volcano. at the bottom of the volcano we took our mudbath and sat in the hotspring. amy brought us a bottle of wine to enjoy in the hotsprings which made a great day perfect. the miravalles adventure is a must! we used avispas adventures amy is originally from the us and speaks perfect english-ask for her. they will take just your group at the same price of the tours offerd by gp. they brought a cooler with cold drinks and snacks on every tour. their website is www.avispasadventures.com

penticton
3. Re: Simple Questions re: Grand Papagayo

We did both these tours also with Vargas Tours . - www.vargascostaricatours.com Carlos, our guide was absolutely wonderful. We felt like we should have been taking notes as he knew the name and description of every animal, tree and fauna. The meals were fantastic. After the Palo verde tour they took us to an rauthentic Costa Rican restaurant were they cooked the meal on wood stoves. It was the best meal we had in Costa Rica. From there we went to a place where they ground coffee beans daily .....then to the grocery store in Playa del Coco. We also went shopping in Coco at the handi craft shops . What a day! White faced monkeys right in the boat with us.

I can't say enough about the quaility of guides and service they offered us. Michael arranged all the tours for us previous to arriving and is a true professional (Canadian expat) discovercostarica@yahoo.ca

georga
4. Re: Simple Questions re: Grand Papagayo

We went with Avispa’s Adventures and did the same tours as gringcr. WONDERFUL! We had both Amy and Avispa on all of our tours. As owners you can see that they truly go the extra mile to make your tour perfect and your vacation unforgettable! They provide private tours for the same price as the other companies charge for going with other people. Amy is originally from the US and speaks English (what a relief) and Avispa is a native Costa Rican that is proud to share his country with you. Amy made a comment on one of our trips, which I believe to be very true. She said that people come to her and Costa Rica as clients but they leave as friends. We are currently planning a return trip to visit our new friends. I would highly recommend Avispa's Adventures. www.avispasadventures.com

5. Re: Simple Questions re: Grand Papagayo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 15, 2009