We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using AAA to rent a car in LIR

Which Liberia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
D/FW
reviews: 8
Using AAA to rent a car in LIR

What are your thoughts about using AAA in the states to rent a car in Liberia?

My reasoning is that if anything goes wrong or gets disputed, they might, maybe, possibly, hopefully, could act as an advocate. It seems like everyone has a horror story about every car vendor at the airport.

AAA offers Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty, Alamo & Budget. Their rates are reasonable but don't include insurance.

We're going in 3 weeks and it just seems like a crap shoot.

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Using AAA to rent a car in LIR

I think is a great idea...at least worth it to try!

Please let us all know how it goes!!

roadadvisor

calgary alberta
reviews: 3
2. Re: Using AAA to rent a car in LIR

I know what you are feeling as far as being a crapshoot. We just rented a vehicle from Budget in Liberia and had no problem.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
3. Re: Using AAA to rent a car in LIR

Check out the insurance costs before committing. The mandatory insurance charged can be anything from $10 to $20 daily depending on the size and style of vehicle and full insurance is around $40 to $50. Some companies also don't tell you about surcharges such as airport taxes which are 13% of your rental if the company doesn't absorb them into the cost of of the rental, plus environment and license tax can be other surcharges. Added to that some companies charge a daily rate for an additional driver. It can make a really big difference to your rental costs!

Have a great trip!

Toronto
4. Re: Using AAA to rent a car in LIR

It's always best to rent directly from the agencies that have a C.R. website and include the insurance in their pricing. That way there are no surprises. We use www.dollarcostarica.com . Never had a problem, and we've used them at least 15 times. What they quote is what you pay.

D/FW
5. Re: Using AAA to rent a car in LIR

Funny you posted this since that's exactly what we ended up doing. The unknown fuzzy insurance prices when using AAA scared me off.

I'll post my experience with them when I get back.

D/FW
6. Re: Using AAA to rent a car in LIR

We used Dollar. The reservation was for a Nissan but we were given a Suzuki Grand Vitara with 78k kilometers. It was a used up rattle trap, but it was reliable and we had no issues with it.

Returning the car, we filled up around 20 kilometers from the airport. They didn't top off the tank so it showed about a 1/16 down from full. They were going to charge me $50+ for a quarter tank of gas or I could drive to who knows where to top it off. We settled on me paying for 1/8 tank and getting to the airport in time.

Lesson learned: When you get it filled up on return, make sure they top it off!

There was also some drama on return with another couple picking up a car. I gathered that they didn't have a printout of the reservation and they were being quoted a different rate. PRINT OUT EVERYTHING!

Having said all that, I'd rent from Dollar again.

Be prepared.

7. Re: Using AAA to rent a car in LIR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 11, 2013