We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vacation in guanacaste last week july/first week august

Which Liberia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 6
vacation in guanacaste last week july/first week august

We are booked at the RIU 7/27 thru 8/2. I have a couple of questions: which excursions/sites are a must see and which companies do you recommend to use? I have horses at home so horseback riding is not something we are looking for. I heard the hanging bridges are interesting:any opinions?

What can I expect for weather this year?

Where should we go for some sights and sounds of the nightlife nearby the hotel?

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: vacation in guanacaste last week july/first week august

Weather can be nice not to wet...you can rent a car and drive toward Potrero beach and Tamarindo by the Monkey Trail...nice ride...you will see some great hills and some amizing views!

Others can chime about optional tours.!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: vacation in guanacaste last week july/first week august

Some tours you can take from your hotel are: The Palo Verde boat tour and Guatil pottery, the Santa Rosa Park, The Rincon de La Vieja Park, The combo t our (Ziplines, tubing, hot springs hike) at Buena Vista Lodge by Rincon de La Vieja, the Rainforest Hike and Heliconia Hanging bridges, the zipline at the Congo Trail, the Corobici River float, fishing etc just to mention a few.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 18
3. Re: vacation in guanacaste last week july/first week august

I would like to get in on this thread as well. We are also there around that time, staying in Playa Hermosa. We have a car for the full two weeks. Have plans to drive to Arenal for a couple of days. What would you suggest for good day trip drives to see the countryside. Nice views, quiet secluded beaches, but not too far, Just thinking of quick day trips to break up our time there.

Also looking for good relaible fishing in Hermosa

Thanks

guanacaste
reviews: 31
4. Re: vacation in guanacaste last week july/first week august

One of the things that you should not miss is a visit to Rincon de la Vieja Volcano National Park, at Las Pailas. The volcano is active but easy to explore. Lots of things to see in the area.

San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: vacation in guanacaste last week july/first week august

Around the area a must see and do is defenetely Rincón de la vieja National Park, a beautiful park with an active volcano and hikes where you can experience nature at its best, waterfalls, fumaroles, and the dry forest, also very close by of the park you will find the best in adventure activities, zip lines following the canyon of a river, tubbing,mud baths, hot srpings, natural pools good food, etc, This is at HAcienda Guachipelin and Guachipelin Adventure tours.

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: vacation in guanacaste last week july/first week august

Great idea Peter...and that is the way stay overnight in Arenal...great choice...enjoy the ride!

roadadvsior

Boston...
7. Re: vacation in guanacaste last week july/first week august

If I had to choose between Arenal and Rincon considering my location at the RIU which would be the better choice? I'm hoping to get to the bath springs as well. Can someone tell me more about the hanging bridges in my area? My husband has a severe fear of heights so zipline is out but he agreed to the hanging bridges. How long of a drive would those bridges be from RIU?

If I'm looking for some nightl;ife where should we go?

Thanks so much for the positive feedback.

Denver, Colorado
8. Re: vacation in guanacaste last week july/first week august

We're staying our first two nights in Rincon then were off to the beach five nights (JW Marriott). As much as I'd like to see Arenal I don't want that much windshield time, so we opted for Rincon and will get to Arenal on our next trip. I'm no expert on CR though, but did quite a bit of research here on TA!

Playa Hermosa...
reviews: 4
9. Re: vacation in guanacaste last week july/first week august

You are only a 18 minute drive to Plays Del Coco which offers night life, restaurants, bars, shopping and the hotel offers daily scheduled trips to Coco and Tamarindo 2-4 times a day. Go to the entrance of the hotel and you will see the LAR transportation desk and they can make any transportation arrangements and also can accept departure tax payments which will save you line up time at the airport when departing.

There are a couple zip line locations close to the hotel, Witches Rock Canopy (45 minutes) and Congo Trail Canopy (ten minutes) Congo Trail is a good entry level canopy tour. Rincon (1 1/2 - 2 hrs) is much closer to the Riu than Arenal (3 hrs) but both are worth the visit. At Borinquen, they offer zip lines, hot springs, mud baths as does Hacienda Guachipelin. Buena Vista offer the same attractions and the zipline here is milder than the Borinquen zip line.

Afternoon rains around 1-2 pm once or twice a week has been what we have been experiencing lately.

st. louis
reviews: 5
10. Re: vacation in guanacaste last week july/first week august

What are the prices for the excursions? Trying to figure out how much cash to bring.

Is there an excursion to Nicaragua? If so how much?

Do you negotiate the price with the different groups on the beach, such as Alex, Seigo, or Vic?