We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar Rent A Car Liberia Airport

Which Liberia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Preston
Dollar Rent A Car Liberia Airport

Hi,

My girlfriend and I will be travelling around CR for our holiday early next year for a couple of weeks, and will need car hire to pack everything in we're going to try and do. I've noticed that Dollar seem to be the cheapest (http://www.dollarcostarica.com/) and I was wondering if anyone had booked through them recently and had any reports.

I've seen a post from 2010, and also a San Jose report, I was just hoping someone who'd rented off these recently had any feedback for us.

Thanks!

27 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
reviews: 24
1. Re: Dollar Rent A Car Liberia Airport

Check this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k4664…

If you are comparing various companies, make sure to know whether their quote includes the mandatory (by law) liability insurance. It run $10 -$20 a day so you don't want any ugly surprises when you reach the rental desk.

Some companies include it in their quote, some don't.

Edited: 8:23 am, September 13, 2011
White Rock, Canada
reviews: 1
2. Re: Dollar Rent A Car Liberia Airport

I travel to CR yearly and always use Dollar in Liberia. I find them to be very honest and reasonable.Have never had any problems with their vehicles They have a great staff that go above and beyond normal service levels. You can't go wrong with them.

Toronto
3. Re: Dollar Rent A Car Liberia Airport

I also always use Dollar. Use their website to book (www.dollarcostarica.com), not the U.S. one. The price you are quoted is exactly what you will pay. The staff are fantastic, and if it matters to you, their English is superb.

I had an issue with a car that wouldn't start (bad gas), and they sent someone from the airport to the Westin to pick up my wife and I so that we wouldn't miss our flight.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: Dollar Rent A Car Liberia Airport

Good company to dealt with...

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: Dollar Rent A Car Liberia Airport

They are a good company. What ever company you use make sure to find out about insurance costs. Some companies offer cheap rates to get the booking and when you get here surprise surprise they charge you high insurance fees.

Donegal;PA
reviews: 101
6. Re: Dollar Rent A Car Liberia Airport

I have used Dollar the last 3 times we have been to Costa Rica and will be renting from them again this November. We have never had a problem, They have reasonable rates, and they have always had the either the car choice we rented or something similar. They are very friendly and helpful at their rental location in Liberia and there will be someone to meet you and pick you up at the airport. And most importantly as Rancho already mentioned, the price quoted is the price you pay.

Costa Rica
reviews: 7
7. Re: Dollar Rent A Car Liberia Airport

I had a very bad experience with Dollar and several good experiences with Adobe.

Me venting about Dollar Rental Car;

I needed to rent a car to take my dog from the beach town of Coco to a veterinarian hospital near San Jose, about 4 hours away.

I made the reservation over the phone and the guy said they would bring the car to my house at 4:00 pm so I could load up and be ready to hit the road early the next morning. The company was given 2 cell phone numbers and my exact home address.

The guy never called or showed up and it was now 6:00 pm and I NEED a car. (My truck was in the shop, Adobe in Coco is closed by 6:00 pm, and you can't take a dog on the bus.)

I called the office to ask where the guy delivering my car was. He said he would get back to me, he needed to call him on the cell.

The guy called me who was delivering the car and started yelling at me that it was my fault "he got lost," and I "gave him the wrong phone number!"

I couldn't believe it. He had my 2 cell phone numbers, the exact location which is VERY easy to find, for a local or even a tourist, and he was yelling at me when he was already 2 hours late.

I told him to calm down and tell me what he was going to do.......I still need a car, weather he is late or not. He agreed that he would still deliver the car. (why, thank you, you're so sweet.)

When he got here, he told me that he came here about 2 hours ago, knocked on this door and no one answered. I know for a fact that that was a lie because I was here the whole time, with the door open and never saw anyone approaching the door, and the 3 dogs bark like crazy when someone comes near anyway.

I should put this as a review on TripAdvisor. I've been meaning to. That guy was so rude I just couldn't believe it. He was yelling at ME! ha!

Ok.........I vented! hahaha!

pura vida

Adobe has been great to me and my friends and family that have rented cars. They are always on time, courteous, and are right there when you need them in La Fortuna when your girlfriend accidentally closes the locked door when the keys are still inside!

sanjose
8. Re: Dollar Rent A Car Liberia Airport

good guys but make sure to take only mandatory issurance otherwise your rate will go up and up and up... good trip

Canada
9. Re: Dollar Rent A Car Liberia Airport

We recently rented a Nissan Xtrail for a week for a week in early November 2011.

We specifically reserved an automatic because my wife can't drive standard.

We were picked up at the airport with another couple, and taken to the office. We both wanted the same class of vehicle, but they only had one automatic and one manual.

We were going to go to another agency for an automatic, but the front desk clerk told us that if we took the manual, he would give us 10% off for the week. He then said he would bring an automatic the next day to our hotel to exchange with the manual. He also said he would call the hotel and let us know what was happening.

He told us if he wasn't able to get us an automatic, we would get 20% off for the week.

The week went by without a vehicle exchange or a phone call.

When we arrived to give the car back the front desk clerk stated that we would only get 10% off for a single day, not the entire week. When I reminded him he said we'd get 20% off for the week if we didn't get the automatic we had reserved, he said that he didn't say that, and that it was only 10% for one day.

We eventually did get 20% off for the week, but only after the manager and the clerk called us liars and made us fill out additional paperwork. There was also an issue that we didn't bring it back full (we did but their check said it wasn't, so we had to go out and look at it again to show him.)

We travel extensively, and are used to the bait and switch method. I think that most people wouldn't have stood their ground, and that is why the staff at Dollar tried what they did.

I wouldn't reccomend them. Spend a little more and go with a different agency that won't try to rip you off.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
10. Re: Dollar Rent A Car Liberia Airport

Dear Troy..

So sorry to heard that...no nice of them about the name calling...for any body in the same situation...get what ever they promise you in BLACK and WHITE...no writing note ...no dealt...and find another rent a car ...that simple!

roadadvisor

Reply to: Dollar Rent A Car Liberia Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted