We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal and Monteverde

Which Bagaces hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
reviews: 6
Arenal and Monteverde

We are planning on leaving for our trip to Costa Rica on July 4th. We will be in Tamarindo and then travel to Arenal and Monteverde on the 8th thru 11th. Then we go down to Corcovado. My question is where should we stay in Arenal. I have read SO MUCH on here and in guide books and cannot seem to make a decision. It's strange, I am usually pretty instintive, but this has got me baffled. We want a lava view and would like to check out the cloud forest too. Any suggestions would rock!!! Thanks in advance.

Chico, CA
11. Re: Arenal and Monteverde

We stayed at the Observatory Lodge for 2 nights in the middle of June and the views of the volcano are impressive. The lodge is surrounded by lush beautiful gardens with many trails to wander on. I really was concerned we would not see the volcano after I checked the weather reports for the time we would be there. It predicted rain, rain, rain, throughout most of our trip. While we were there, the weather was mostly clear with intermittent rain showers in the afternoon and evening-one of the reasons we decided not to take a night hike to see the lava flow. We thought with the cloud cover we may not see anything. From what I could tell the view of the lava flow from Arenal Paraiso looked pretty good. You cannot see it from the Observatory Lodge, but we were content that we could see the volcano with its plume of steam and ash every morning from the window of our Smithsonian room. One of the boys and my husband heard the volcano rumble while walking to the lodge for breakfast. Where we encountered the most amount of rain was in Monteverde and I mean torrential rain.

12. Re: Arenal and Monteverde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 14, 2009