We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watching "lava", 'hot boulders"

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
reviews: 8
Watching "lava", 'hot boulders"

I have read that "lava" and the hot boulders soming down from the volcano can be really seen only when its dark. (assuming its a clear sky). Which tour can let me see that or can I myself go to someplace with an observation deck to see it?

san jose
1. Re: Watching "lava", 'hot boulders"

one of my favorites , is the Arenal Lodge , lay in your bed and watch the volcano blow , also , from the town of La Fortuna , you can get night tours to the thermal waters and viewing the volcano , Arenal is one of the most active in the Americas ¡

San Isidro de El...
reviews: 42
2. Re: Watching "lava", 'hot boulders"

Depending on where you are and where the lava flow is, you can see the boulders falling down during the day. Usually you will just see puffs of smoke along with the rocks when they bounce down. Sometimes they hit some flammable material like leaves or bushes and you can see a bigger puff of smoke. The dark is obviously going to have the biggest show for you because you will then be able to see the red lava and the sparks.

A couple of years ago we ate lunch several times at El Novillo on the main road and saw the boulders and smoke each time.

usa
3. Re: Watching "lava", 'hot boulders"

Thanks for the info guys!! I am leaning towards staying at some place with the "action" view rather than taking a tour to see the action while staying at another place

San Francisco...
reviews: 44
4. Re: Watching "lava", 'hot boulders"

I am fairly certain that the view from the Arenal Lodge no longer faces the main lava flow area.

The best view point is from Arenal Kioro, which is a hotel and restaurant (Mirador) closest to the flow and within a direct view. Lost Iguana also has a good view and is less expensive. Tabacon also has a view (although the lava flow line is not as direct).

You can see the explosions on a clear day or night. The smoke is more spectacular by day and the lava flow is more spectacular at night.

usa
5. Re: Watching "lava", 'hot boulders"

Thanks!

6. Re: Watching "lava", 'hot boulders"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, August 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...