We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

Folks,

The wife and I are super super excited about our 10d trip beginning tomorrow morning. Now, onto the question: Is your packing below OK?

I checked the weather for the next 4 nights at Arenal and there is a storm warning this Sat ~ We have Rio Celeste planned for this Sat. Overall supposed to be 90's.

Drake Bay weather from 4/30 ~ 5/5 suggest rain and storm warning daily. It is supposed to 80s though out. I have been told that this is normal there.

Me:

8-10 t shirts

2 cargos horts

2 cargo trousers

3 swin trunks

1 Fleece Jacket

Wife:

10-12 t shirts

3 long pants

2 linen trousers

3 swim clothing

1 fleece Jacket

Now onto our itinerary:

4/26: Fly into SJO. Private Taxi to El Silencio Del Campo, AVP

4/27: Rio Celeste

4/28: Cerro Chato

4/29: Cano Negro

4/30: Fly into Drake Bay

5/1: San Pedrillo Ranger Station Hike

5/2: Mangrove

5/3: Cano Island

5/4: Relax

5/5: Fly into San Jose

5/6: Fly into Newark

Is our packing OK? Need to add/remove anything?

Thanks in advance.

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
1. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

1. No need for fleece the places you are going.

2. Too many t-shirts. You can find laundry services everywhere (and not just the usual expensive hotel laundry, but a lady who will take your clothes and wash and dry and return them at a reasonable price.) I would substitute a few tank stops for some of those t-shirts.

3. The long pants that zip off into shorts are really handy. You can start out with long pants and change to shorts as the day gets hotter.

2. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

Danke, hattie! Appreciate the response.

Re (1), The fleece will tag along because of weather in the morning in US. Also, I want to carry one just to be safe on our way back into the US. It is getting warm already here in NYC but you never know!

Re (2), will do.

Re (3), will do.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 93
3. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

I would add a rain poncho and a pair of binoculars and eliminate the fleece like Hattie mentioned. Three bathing suits seems kind of excessive for a ten day trip, but maybe you have room for that. I'd include some type of water shoe that's quick drying if you can. We always wear those, and it's nice to have something that will dry quickly. Also a pair of running shoes for hiking.

4. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

Volcano girl, Thanks as always!

Yes, both of us will be taking a pair of hiking shoes + regular sneakers + water sandals.

Thought of loosing the 3rd swim trunk but figured it doesnt weight much and may come in handy.

Yup, poncho's + binoculars + camera w/3 spare batteries are all packed already.

Thanks again.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
5. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you're ready to go - have a great time.

6. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

VG, bought 4 poncho's from the dollar store between the both of us! Thought how often am I going to need a poncho in NYC, so didnt want to invest a good one. Figured use and throw would be good enough!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
7. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a good plan!

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
8. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

You might want to take a look at this thread of items folks like to bring - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k4943…

Obviously can't use all the info, but there are some awesome ideas in the mix. Have a blast on vaca.

9. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Incabod. Ran out and got a box of Nature Valley trail mix. All else seems not applicable for our purposes/itinerary.

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
10. Re: Packing for the trip. Feedback Please? Thanks in advance.

You can buy granola bars just about anywhere in Costa Rica and trail mix in many many places. I don't recommend cluttering up your suitcase with stuff you can buy easily here.