We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica - Any Suggestions?

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quebec City, Canada
reviews: 7
Costa Rica - Any Suggestions?

We want to go to CR next month. We are nature lovers and want to see the volcanos, rainforest, wildlife, visit Tortuguero and/or??

The airport is in Liberia, any suggestions where we should stay to be close to all these attractions? Preferable all inclusive good and clean.

I am open to any other suggestions...

Looking forward to hear from you!

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
1. Re: Costa Rica - Any Suggestions?

If you want to visit Tortuguero which is a great place for wildlife lovers with the birdlife, reptiles and even occasional glimpses of big cats and turtles att eh right time of year. However, you'd be better flying into San Jose if you want to go there.

Others will help you along with the AI accommodation I'm sure.

Have a great trip!

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 77
2. Re: Costa Rica - Any Suggestions?

How much time do you have?

What is your travel style?

What is your budget like?

Will you rent a vehicle?

Costa Rica has more variety of wildlife in some square miles than all of Canada. So if you find a place to focus on, you need not travel far to experience it.. Unfortunately Liberia and Tortuguero will not work unless you want to do a long day's river trip (not on most tourist agendas) or long bus trip across the entire country (7 hours) followed by late day boat ride into a very different kind of place. If you get there, hire Castor Hiunter to take you on a mangrove tour for two in his paddled canoe. He is a kind and informed man. There are several AI resorts in this area, all geared to 2 to 4 day stays. They are relatively expensive. There are many local tourist hotels, but make sure you inspect the rooms as they vary widely from the pictures.

Out of Liberia the biggest bang for your buck as far as flora and fauna would probably be to get up to Santa Elena in the MonteVerde area. The AI resorts up there are probably very expensive. We found a nice, uniquely furnished and appointed local place called the Rustic Lodge there and enjoyed being swarmed by hummingbirds a few steps from our door. The owner was also very attentive and a great source of suggestions for interesting places to see. Good local food can be had at tourist type eateries for about $50 a day for a couple up there and in most places, including Arenal. Likewise, you should be able to find clean, quiet and safe places to stay for this amount.

Edited: 12:22 am, January 04, 2013
Quebec City, Canada
3. Re: Costa Rica - Any Suggestions?

Thanks so much for your reply!

I was recommended a Caravan Tour (www.caravantour.com) for an overview of CR. The price is really good for a 10 day itiniery ($1,095 which includes everything...meals, boat tours, accommodation, transportation, admision to hot springs). The only thing you have to do is book your flights yourself.

Again, thank you!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 138
4. Re: Costa Rica - Any Suggestions?

How many people? How many days?

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 77
5. Re: Costa Rica - Any Suggestions?

You will see all of the tourist places. The price is good at $100 a day but you trade off your freedom to stay at places you might like

Costa Rica is an easy place to travel safely without a tour. You can hire guides as you need them. It all depends how far out of the box you want to get

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: Costa Rica - Any Suggestions?

Nice AI...maybe the best around...Westin Playa Conchal...from there you can visit..Rincon de la Vieja Volcano...check Hotel Hacienda Guachiplein...can be a one day tour...

Overnight tour of Arenal...or Monteverde or both...

roadadvsior

Quebec City, Canada
7. Re: Costa Rica - Any Suggestions?

We are 2 adults and looking for 7 to 10 days. We are really attracted to Tortuguero for the wildlife and rainforests...

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
8. Re: Costa Rica - Any Suggestions?

It is an incredibly special place. If you want to do more with your time, consider flying into Tortuguero and taking the boat out of vice versa. Two or three nights are needed to really make the most of your visit there. Staying in a town without cars is a novel experience in itself, add to that the canals with crocodiles and even manatee, the astonishing birdlife and the chance to see all kinds of mammals, even cats if you are really lucky. Time it right to see turtles laying their eggs or hatching.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
9. Re: Costa Rica - Any Suggestions?

Welll for Tortuguero...you may check...Mawamba Lodge...Laguna Lodge...Pachira Lodge...Turtle beach Lodge...it is another one that is a very old...and for some unknown reason it is the most expensive...why pay more for the same...?? Somebody mention the other day that they offer gourmet melas...! In my case if I want a gourmet meal...the last place I like to have a expensive one will be Tortuguero...that is funny!

Maybe think about Arenal aas another place to visit...great area...nice and relaxing if you like to relax...of course Monteverde is also great...I hope you do not get any vulgarity since I mention Monteverde...some people not very nice about Monteverde...and suddlenly even a travel writer..hehe

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
10. Re: Costa Rica - Any Suggestions?

Tortuguero is one of my favorite places.

For "all-inclusive" packages: www.tortugueroinfo.com

For independent travel: www.tortuguerovillage.com

One of my favorite places to stay in Tortuguero is Casa Marbella. It is part of the village and located on the river/lagoon. They have a small kitchen you can use and a wonderful dock where I sit and while away the time. The owner, Daryl, is a great tour guide also.

Some of the lodging as part of the "package deals" are located across the river/lagoon from the village of Tortuguero and tend to separate you from everything. I like staying somewhere in or near the village so you can just walk around, visit the beach and not have to take a boat every time you want to do this. Mawamba Lodge is not far from the village if you want a good "package."

Edited: 11:20 am, January 06, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...