We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can someone who has issues with heights - Hanging Bridges

Which Arenal Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 23
Can someone who has issues with heights - Hanging Bridges

My wife and I are going to Arenal in January and trying to plan some tours. I like to do photography and we were interested in Hanging Bridges, but not sure I can handle the heights. Are there any Hanging Bridges or tours you can recommend that not would cause me problems.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
1. Re: Can someone who has issues with heights - Hanging Bridges

The Hanging Bridges at Arenal are heavily landscaped and while some short bridge sections may be over a valley, the settings are so lush with plants and trees all around you that there's really no need to look down. I'd say go for it as you can always turn around and head back the way you came if it bothers you. Do not expect much in the way of wildlife at Hanging Bridges as there's just too much foot traffic.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 138
2. Re: Can someone who has issues with heights - Hanging Bridges

Agree 100% with above. Best nature is on foot, w/guide, in more less travelled areas, early morning and late evening.

Selve Verde is great, Tortuguero via boats....

Costa Rica
reviews: 24
3. Re: Can someone who has issues with heights - Hanging Bridges

If you are in the Tenorio area, you can visit the rainforest of Heliconias Lodge where there are four hanging bridges.

I also have problems with heights and it kind of depends on how "freaky" you get. I walked slowly across, holding the backpack of my friend in front of me which made me feel more secure. If you do this and it gets too bad, you can just close your eyes!

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
4. Re: Can someone who has issues with heights - Hanging Bridges

If heights are an issue, you may want to look into the Cano Negro tour or a Safari Float. There is plenty of wildlife on each of these without leaving your comfort zone.

Shawnee, Kansas
reviews: 48
5. Re: Can someone who has issues with heights - Hanging Bridges

When we did the Hanging Bridges of Arenal I didn't think I had a problem with heights until I got to the middle of the park. I got kind of "freaky" and pretty much froze in place lol. I think it was one of the longest and highest bridges and it shakes more too, especially when someone else is on the bridge. There were two or three more bridges to go and I made it through because I had no choice.

I'm glad I did it, and I even talked myself into ziplining with my son a few days later. If you already know heights are a problem for you....then I would seriously consider skipping the bridges.

6. Re: Can someone who has issues with heights - Hanging Bridges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Arenal Volcano...