We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue fever outbreak

Which Province of Guanacaste hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
somerset
reviews: 33
Dengue fever outbreak

We will be staying in the westin playa conchol And travelling with our 10 year old. I am concerned about reports stating the number of cases of dengue has risen sharply in the area we are staying. Are the reports true and should we consider cancelling our trip?

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
1. Re: Dengue fever outbreak

insidecostarica.com/2012/…

The reports are true, but dengue is always around. The best prevention is repellant applied frequently as these mosquitoes bite during the day. Sleep under a net at night.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: Dengue fever outbreak

Dengue is there but not to cancel a trip...dengue is also in Orlando Florida and New York...and every body keep going there...sorry for the comparison...but that is the way it is!

roadadavisor

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 7
3. Re: Dengue fever outbreak

examiner.com/article/new-york-city-second-hi…

Well, it seems Road Advisor may actually have for case for this US/CR comparison!

somerset
reviews: 33
4. Re: Dengue fever outbreak

Thank you for your replies. I found a map showing where dengue is and was actually quite surprised! I am more concerned for our daughter, as apparently they can come own with the stronger strain. Will stock up on Deet and enjoy our trip!

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
reviews: 34
5. Re: Dengue fever outbreak

It might also ease your mind to know that the particular species which transmits Dengue is only active during daylight hours - thus you generally do not have to worry about contracting Dengue at night.

Even during the daylight hours, risks are highest during the early morning and during the evening hours. Thus, make sure that you use a product containing DEET especially during those times (such as during a sunset walk on the beach, for example.)

Further, please be aware that the concentration of DEET in a given product is NOT related to its effectiveness. It is a common misconception that you need higher concentrations in order to be better protected.

However, a product containing 5% DEET is EXACTLY as effective as one containing 30% DEET. The concentration of DEET simply affects HOW LONG the product can offer protection.

Thus, 100% DEET will provide protection for 12 hours.

25%-30% protects for up to eight hours.

15% protects for up to six hours.

5%-10% gives you protection for 2 to 4 hours.

http://www.deet.com/about_3.html

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: Dengue fever outbreak

Thank you my dear AMIGA Sara F...

roadadvisor

New York City, New...
7. Re: Dengue fever outbreak

Wow - you both are really in denial! NYC has only a tiny number of 'imported' cases. In Costa Rica dengue the numbers are very large! Take a look at the world health dengue map with 18 recent alerts for Costa Rica.

http://www.healthmap.org/dengue/index.php

New York City, New...
8. Re: Dengue fever outbreak

I would definately cancel my trip if I had reservations for Costa Rica. I would especially not expose a child to the possiblity of contracting dengue fever.

Brasilito, Costa...
9. Re: Dengue fever outbreak

The wind direction here in Conchal will be shifting in the next few weeks eliminating 90% of the problem. Not to worry.

10. Re: Dengue fever outbreak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, December 16, 2013