We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation

Which Poas Volcano National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wilmington
reviews: 1
Transportation

Staying at Peace Lodge. Don't won't to take their tour to Poas Volcano. Just want to get there early, hike for a few hours and then back. Does anyone know what transportation I could take from the lodge? Thanks in advance!

6 replies to this topic
Culver City...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Transportation

We are heading to the Peace Lodge in 3 weeks and have the same question as you. What time of transportation did you use to get to Poas Volcano from Peace Lodge? Did you eat all your meals at the Lodge? I'd prefer to eat elsewhere but without a car I don't know if that is possible. I'd appreciate any advice.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
2. Re: Transportation

You are in a tough spot because of the remote location of the Peace Lodge. The nearest town Varablanca is 3 miles away and not a tourist destination so nowhere nearby that I know of to eat. $65 pp for a 3.5 hour tour is not unreasonable. I doubt you could find a taxi driver for that amount unless you put together a group. You really want a car or deep pockets if staying at the Peace Lodge for more than one night.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Transportation

Totally agrre with crfan...you are really in middle of nowhere...most vehicles most have to drive from Alajuela or hire one that is already there by Vara Blanca...

roadadivsor

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
4. Re: Transportation

Have you checked with the Peace Lodge to see if they have or can recommend private transport? They will undoubtedly have a transport connection, and if you don't wish to go with the group, this might be the best way. The earlier you get to Poas, the better the chance you have to see the crater cloud free.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
5. Re: Transportation

I have no idea how many times I have had been in Poas in my well over 45 years driving and guiding people around my country...and nobody can never guarantee when the crater is going to be 100% clear...early bettter chances but not a rule...

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
6. Re: Transportation

So very true, but then again, some people are just unlucky.

I have taken friends to Poas (and Doka) 5 times, different times of the year, and have been there before 9, never missed the crater yet as we always chant a prayer to the weather gods. It's also a good spot to hike and see some interesting critters (nothing scary)

Reply to: Transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted