We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private horseback tours

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, Texas
Private horseback tours

We will be staying in the Arenal area (Springs Resort) and I'm wondering if there are any private horse tour operators in the area? Don't want to do the follow-the-leader trails. Very experienced rider and would like to be free to roam and run and see the real Costa Rica.

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Private horseback tours

Good idea....but maybe the best is once you are in La Fortuna...go and see the animals...and make a deal and ask all kind of questions....most horses are not very good...just regular working horses ...healthy most of them but short also most of them...for your own good and safety...check the horses first...!

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
2. Re: Private horseback tours

Your lodging should be able to help you with this. There are always farmers around who have a few horses for rent. You will want someone to go with you so you don't get lost - but there's no need to do an organized tour. Since you are obviously experienced, you can look at the horses and decide for yourself.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
3. Re: Private horseback tours

I haven't ridden with these guys so have no personal experience, but have heard good things about them - http://www.centauracostarica.com/index.htm "Our stables are located about 30 minutes east of the town of La Fortuna (near the base of Arenal volcano), and we'd LOVE for you to come visit us, any time, so give us a call at 2474-5226 when you are in country and we'll tell you how to get here."

If you decide to ride with them please give us a report on the forum when you return. Happy travels!

Fort Worth, Texas
4. Re: Private horseback tours

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming! I have contacted Centuara and they sound great, but when I looked on the map their address appears to be over 2 hours away from the Springs Resort. Looks like its near San Jose, and I really don't want to spend 4 + of hours of drive time.

La Fortuna de San...
5. Re: Private horseback tours

Hello , Dana i will suggest Arenal Wilberth Stable, best horseback riding in La Fortuna, check: www.arenalwilberthstable.com

JENSEN BEACH
reviews: 37
6. Re: Private horseback tours

I read that the people with Benedictus Restaurant offer very good riding.

San Jose, Costa Rica
7. Re: Private horseback tours

Yes, Alvaro Solano, Don Tobias Cabalgatas and Benedictus are all pretty much the same operation, and they do a great job all around.

Here's the link to their horseback riding site: http://www.cabalgatadontobias.com/

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 107
8. Re: Private horseback tours

Leaves & Lizards has some of the healthiest and well cared for horses I've seen in the area. They will do a totally private tour if you'd like and they also have a private waterfall they can take you to which I've gone twice and it's amazing! I am an experienced rider and have gone on private rides with them...very memorable! :-) Here is their website: http://www.leavesandlizards.com/ Enjoy!!!

Kemptville
reviews: 14
9. Re: Private horseback tours

Centaura is 20 minutes from La Fortuna, we are staying there next February and their horses look great.

ALajuela
reviews: 1
10. Re: Private horseback tours

Hi Danna!

I went to the area for 15 days, My wife and I were able to horseback riding tour at the foot of the Arenal Volcano and the lake the price is very good, also the guides are super trained and they know much about the area. I made the reservation from the web site: http://arenalwilberthstable.com/index.html