We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hello!I made it to La Fortuna De Carlos and I need reccomd..

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 1
Hello!I made it to La Fortuna De Carlos and I need reccomd..

Hello! Hello!

Some of you have called me naive and others have said they fear for me. Well I wasn't sure how to take it, but nevertheless I made it to my second destination without much fuss/ gamble. My new Tico family best Frends family were kind enough to drive me and my son to La Fortuna where we will be staying for two weeks. So I wanted to know what activities although not much, could I do with a 2 year old? And for those who live here where can I go shopping for groceries that doesn't cost gringos prices Because its crazy expensive!! For a minute I would have thought I was shopping at Whole Foods in the USA.

Any cheap yet good eateries?

Thanks

USA
1. Re: Hello!I made it to La Fortuna De Carlos and I need reccomd..

Can someone tell me how the taxis charges, bcuz I noticed the meter started off at 595 colones. Just doesn't seem right.

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
2. Re: Hello!I made it to La Fortuna De Carlos and I need reccomd..

It's 595 colones for the first kilometer and then each kilometer after that is charged a certain amount. So even if you go 2 blocks, it's still 595 colones.

For the least expensive groceries: the Pali supermarket. Also check around to see when the "feria" is - like a weekly farmers market.

For eating out: go with the local sodas. One that is recommended is La Hormiga which is near the bus station. Do some reading here of the first few pages and you will see some other recommendations.

Things to do with a 2-year-old: check on the twilight boat safari or other boating activities on Lake Arenal. There are some easy trails in the area - ask at your lodging.

Glad to know you are both safe and well.

Edited: 7:55 pm, June 16, 2013
USA
3. Re: Hello!I made it to La Fortuna De Carlos and I need reccomd..

Oh wow! Thanks HattieCoastrica! I really appreciate your quick answers. And yes I will do some reading as well.

Baton Rouge...
reviews: 51
4. Re: Hello!I made it to La Fortuna De Carlos and I need reccomd..

Check out Soda la Parada - great food right on the main square and we thought the prices were very reasonable.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
reviews: 59
5. Re: Hello!I made it to La Fortuna De Carlos and I need reccomd..

Another vote for La Parada. It's been a few years but if things are the same, it was very reasonably priced and excellent quality.

Edited: 10:08 am, June 17, 2013
London, England...
reviews: 80
6. Re: Hello!I made it to La Fortuna De Carlos and I need reccomd..

Cheap but good eateries - Soda Viquez. Had a delicious starter plus main plus bread & drinks for $11 a head.

London, England...
reviews: 80
7. Re: Hello!I made it to La Fortuna De Carlos and I need reccomd..

Can someone tell me how the taxis charges, bcuz I noticed the meter started off at 595 colones. Just doesn't seem right.

----------------------

Doesn't every taxi in the world work like this? Base starter plus a time/distance kicker.

Plus, that's only 75p/$1.20 !!

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
8. Re: Hello!I made it to La Fortuna De Carlos and I need reccomd..

I agree with everything mentioned above. One additional piece of advice I have is to only buy Costa Rican products if you are on a budget. Products originating from other countries will be much more expensive due to shipping and import taxes.

Edited: 12:02 pm, June 17, 2013
San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
9. Re: Hello!I made it to La Fortuna De Carlos and I need reccomd..

Soda La Parada good local food...run and own by a great loca family...

roadadvisorl

Atlanta, GA
10. Re: Hello!I made it to La Fortuna De Carlos and I need reccomd..

Soda Ara is really good, just down the block from the Wave offices in Fortuna. Great breakfast, very reasonable. Arenal Natura, Proyecto Asis,to see some animals or a day pass to Los Lagos for the pools and animal exhibits would be fun and all of them should be under $30 or thereabouts.