We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife Guide Recommendation for La Fortuna

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
reviews: 7
Wildlife Guide Recommendation for La Fortuna

Thanks to William, our host at the Riverbank Apartment, we found a wonderful local wildlife guide in La Fortuna. Giovanni is a very knowledgeable guide who grew up in La Fortuna. He was born in 1967, a year before the large Arenal eruption. Giovanni has taken the last 12 years to create a 60 acre forest in town. His dream is to have a wheelchair accessible trail through his forest and he is well on his way. Giovanni gives personal wildlife tours. He asks you what animals you want to see and tells you whether you can see them in the La Fortuna area. Then he takes you out and finds them for you! He especially likes looking for birds, can make many bird calls, and has the Costa Rica bird guide memorized by page!! We took a 2 hour night tour in his forest which was very cool. Our favorite animal that night was probably the red-eyed tree frog. He made us wait on the road (too many snakes at night) while he went into the bushes to find and bring out frogs for us to photograph. Then we hiked his trail and saw more frogs, lizards, birds, an armadillo (briefly). The next day we went out driving and walking all around the edges of La Fortuna at 6 am and found toucans, sloths, howler monkeys and more. Including a leisurely stop for breakfast at La Mesa de Mama in the middle we spent 5 hours with Giovanni that day. He also would have taken us out again if we wanted to. All this for $35/person. Can't beat that!

Giovanni - arenalguides@gmail.com, 8626-9348

9 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 52
1. Re: Wildlife Guide Recommendation for La Fortuna

Thanks Gwen. Info about knowledgeable local guides is always much appreciated.

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 103
2. Re: Wildlife Guide Recommendation for La Fortuna

Yes Giovanni is absolutely amazing! :-) Thanks for posting a detailed review and glad you enjoyed your time here! ;-)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Wildlife Guide Recommendation for La Fortuna

Geovanny is a great person and a great guide...I book hime some times for our people...they love him!

roadadvisor

Jacksonville...
reviews: 76
4. Re: Wildlife Guide Recommendation for La Fortuna

How can I get in touch with him?

Jacksonville...
reviews: 76
5. Re: Wildlife Guide Recommendation for La Fortuna

Oops, I see the information!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 32
6. Re: Wildlife Guide Recommendation for La Fortuna

I have saved this post for my future trip. Planning to go back to Arenal for a few days before heading to the Pacific! :)

Los Angeles...
reviews: 161
7. Re: Wildlife Guide Recommendation for La Fortuna

I also enthusiastically recommend Geovani. We went with Geovanni yesterday. He's great. He has property near Arenal that he bought 13 years ago and reforested with native plants to bring back wildlife. He took us on a walking tour of his property and showed us the plants and told us a lot about them. We saw a baby and mama three-toed sloth, poison-dart frogs, red-eyed frogs, tons of other birds, including a wood pecker making its nest. He brought a high-powered scope with him and we were able to see and take photos of wildlife up close (if you give you me your email address, I'll send you some photos from that hike). After we left his property, he got in our vehicle with us and guided us to another spot where we saw a two-toed sloth in the wild and several toucans. He charged us $25/person for about 2 1/2 hours and it was well worth it. He is gradually grading a natural path through his property with the intent of making it accessible to persons with disabilities. He is very environmentally conscious and very knowledgeable. His phone number is 862-69348

Edited: 6:02 pm, July 18, 2013
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 12
8. Re: Wildlife Guide Recommendation for La Fortuna

My boyfriend and I just had a tour with Geovani this morning, he showed us two- and three-toed sloths (including a mother and her baby!) on his preserve, and took us near the Danaus reserve to spot toucans and herons. We walked through his private nature trail in town and spotted even more wildlife: banana trees, latex trees, ginger, and of course lizards, beetles and frogs. He was extremely knowledgeable and patient, this was a highlight of our trip to Forunta. Do you know if he has a page on TripAdvisor? We'd love to leave him a 5+ review.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 161
9. Re: Wildlife Guide Recommendation for La Fortuna

I looked for a page for him but could not find it. I think the owner of the business has to request one from Trip Advisor. I did get a horseback riding operator on Trip Advisor by emailing his website link to Trip Advisor. i think they then contacted him and he set up a Trip advisor page. Last I checked he was the #1 attraction in his area! I was so happy to see that.

Reply to: Wildlife Guide Recommendation for La Fortuna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted