We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

atm machines and money

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
50 reviews
atm machines and money

Wondering where the atm machines are with the lowest fees, and is mastercard widely accepted at attractions, restaurants etc..

Also, I know that US dollars may be accepted, but is the rate of exchange any good or is it just better to come with local currency?

La Fortuna
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: atm machines and money

There are ATMS all over the town, the fees are usually the same here in town, it's more of what YOUR bank will charge for the transaction. Tour companies and LARGE restaurants will normally take credit cards but most restaurants will not since they have to pay a lot of fees-cash is always preferred. If you use US dollars just do not take anything larger than $20 bills. In Fortuna you can use dollars or colones, whatever you're comfortable with. If you do want to get Colones, do one big transaction so you get the biggest "bang for your buck" in terms of exchange rate...do not do a small exchange here & there...you'll pay more fees than is worth it. I would say exchange some colones so you have them...it's part of the adventure! :-) Enjoy!

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
117 reviews
2. Re: atm machines and money

I like the BAC across from Musmanni (down the street from the main gas station in town). For some reason my bank back in the states seems to charge me less.

Level Contributor
233 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: atm machines and money

Banco de Costa Rica (BCR) never charges me a fee. If you take out US$ and then enter the bank and convert to colones, you will also get a better exchange rate (at least I get a much better exchange rate) than if you take out colones directly. There is usually at least one ATH at each branch that issues $.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: atm machines and money

Thanks for the info everyone. Good suggestions.

5. Re: atm machines and money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...