We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendation with a 3 year old

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 5
Hotel recommendation with a 3 year old

We are thinking of spending 3 nights in this area with a toddler. Any recommendations of hotels would be greatly appreciated. I had Lost Iguana on top of my list but reviews say that to and fro from the hotel , it takes a toll? Please advise.

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 167
1. Re: Hotel recommendation with a 3 year old

Lost Iguana is located several kilometers from town which is good and bad. For economical accomidations with a little one, I would probably say Los Lagos superior room would work out well. The rooms are basic, but large and clean, and there is an abundance of things to see and do on the grounds. If you want more upscale lodging, there are several nice properties in the area. I would need to know more about what you are looking for.

Houston, Texas
2. Re: Hotel recommendation with a 3 year old

Thank you for your reply . I was also looking at Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat . I am basically looking for a place where we can relax for 3 days and experience the La fortuna side as well. Also check out the volcano, Hot springs with the little one, short hikes and maybe maybe ziplining for the adults as we take turn to be with our little one ? Any recommendations are welcome and appreciated. Thanks again for your time

Edited: 2:22 pm, April 30, 2013
Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 167
3. Re: Hotel recommendation with a 3 year old

Just remember that little ones bodies do not regulate to temperature extremes well, so I would not take a small child into a hot springs that is much above 100 degf. Some of the hot springs are considerable hotter than that, so you will need to check it out yourself before letting the little ones in. If it feels warm to you, it probably to hot for them. That being said, almost all the hot springs in the area have hotter and cooler pools, but some do not allow children into certain areas, such as Tabacon that has an adult only section. I have not stayed at Leaves and Lizards, so I can give you much other than to say check their reviews. As with most sites, you can usually tell which reviews are legit and which are maybe not what they appear to be. I will say that Tabacon is fairly nice, but overpriced, The Springs Resort is nice, but once again is somewhat higher priced. I have saw small children at both of these places. Hotel El Silencio del Campo gets good reviews here and is owned by the same family that owns the Eco Termales Hot Springs, so this one may be worth a look. Costa Ricans love the families, so I am sure that small ones be welcome here. It really doesn't take long to "see" La Fortuna, but there are a lot of activities in the area and day trips that can be taken from here that make it the most visited place in Costa Rica. I would say that Sky Trek is arguable the best zip line in all of Costa Rica. Eco Glide gets a lot of good reviews, but this one I have not done, so I can't say if it is or is not a good one. If you do the hike to the bottom of the La Fortuna waterfall, make sure to take some water bottles with you. It is a good work out especially carrying a little one. There is a nice area past the waterfall where the water is shallow and good for little ones. The Volcano can be seen from almost everywhere in the area, so you don't really need to do the Volcano hike, unless this is something that you want to do. The hike is actually pretty boring. They do have the hanging bridges that you could do with a small one, but you would have to swap off carrying the little one a lot of the time. There are areas that a small child could probably walk OK in, and others not so easy for a little one. I think with a small child, I would not attempt Cano Negro or Rio Celeste, or for that matter the river rafting. You may, depending on the child, be able to do the kayaking on the Lake. A little one would probably like the train ride at Los Heros, so this is another option.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 114
4. Re: Hotel recommendation with a 3 year old

We love the Lost Iguana and have stayed there several times. It's right out by the lake and next door to the Hanging Bridges. We love that it's away from town because it's a quiet property and has wildlife; we've seen howlers, toucans, coatis, tons of birds, and a tayra there. It's about 20 minutes to town. If you want to be closer to town and have a big budget, the Springs Resort and Spa is wonderful with lots of hot springs, beautiful grounds, 5 restaurants to choose from, and best of all their Club Rio activities on the pretty river there. Budget friendly choices that are popular with young families are Los Lagos and Silencio del Campo mentioned by the other posters. Sky Trek is nice for ziplining. Tabacon is nice for upscale springs and Eco Termales if you want smaller, charming, and locally owned. Good chicken dinner there too.

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
5. Re: Hotel recommendation with a 3 year old

A lot of good advice above. I really like Los Lagos and Silencio del Campo for their family friendly environments for all the reasons already mentioned. Arenal Springs Resort is another good family friendly hotel located within a reasonable drive to town. They have nice cool pools, hot springs and there is just an all around warm welcoming feel.

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 114
6. Re: Hotel recommendation with a 3 year old

Check out Las Lomas del Volcan: http://www.lomasdelvolcan.com/ You feel like you're in the middle of nowhere but it's only a 5 minute drive from the main road. The cabinas are small, private, nice and it's not a huge resort. Los Lagos is a huge resort as are Arenal Springs and although I do recommend those hotels often, since you like the style of Leaves & Lizards and Lost Iguana...Las Lomas del Volcan I think is the perfect combination. :-) Enjoy!

Houston, Texas
7. Re: Hotel recommendation with a 3 year old

Thank you for the hot spring and toddler suggestion. Really appreciate it . I did not want to find that out the hard way!

Houston, Texas
8. Re: Hotel recommendation with a 3 year old

All - Thanks for the awesome suggestions, i will go through all of the recommendations . Much appreciated !! You all rock :)

9. Re: Hotel recommendation with a 3 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 03, 2014
Get answers to your questions about La Fortuna de San...