We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Arenal National Park

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, Virginia
reviews: 3
Hiking Arenal National Park

Question-

I have seen that it is $10pp to get into the National Park, but $6 to get into Arenal Observatory Lodge for the day. Why? Can you not get to all the trails if you go through AOL? Or is it further from La Fortuna?

Thanks!

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
1. Re: Hiking Arenal National Park

The trails at Arenal Observatory Lodge are on their property, not in the National Park.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: Hiking Arenal National Park

AOL is private...Arenal National Park ...is belongs to all costaricans...a lot larger area than AOL..

Roadadvisor

Richmond, Virginia
reviews: 3
3. Re: Hiking Arenal National Park

Thank you. I mistakenly thought that the AOL trails led into the ANP park.

Costa Rica
4. Re: Hiking Arenal National Park

Basically, I think that Arenal Volcano National Park folk would have a COW if they thought that Arenal Observatory Lodge was encouraging people to avoid paying the entry fee by making a trail into the National Park. And I wouldn't blame them! Plus.... it's just not the kind of thing that Arenal Observatory Lodge would do.

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
5. Re: Hiking Arenal National Park

There is at least one trail I know of at the Arenal Observatory Lodge that enters the national park, the trail to Cerro Chato. I do not know if you can access the old lava flows from AOL, but if you can, then this would also be an access. That said, you should contribute to the parks. I don't like the fact that the only practical accesses to Cerro Chato are via AOL and the Green Lagoon Lodge as they do not pay the park with your admission.

Costa Rica
6. Re: Hiking Arenal National Park

When I was at Arenal Observatory Lodge, there was no way to get to the National Park trails. Much of the old lava fields was closed off.

7. Re: Hiking Arenal National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 18, 2014