We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hot Springs?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
reviews: 3
Which Hot Springs?

Staying at Arenal Nayara and want to enjoy an afternoon/early evening at one of the hot springs. Which one is closest/which one is worth your money? We want to venture on our own one day and get lunch in town and then end at the hot springs....

Thanks in advance!

Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
1. Re: Which Hot Springs?

We thoroughly enjoyed Tabacon, well worth the money invested for the afternoon.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 102
2. Re: Which Hot Springs?

We like both Tabacon and Eco Termales. Eco Termales is smaller, locally owned, and charming; they serve a good chicken dinner there. Tabacon is more elaborate and lush with a water slide and more pools. It was crowded for us when we were there, and we liked that Eco Termales limits the number of people who can enter. Both nice, just depends on what you're looking for.

san diego
reviews: 21
3. Re: Which Hot Springs?

I loved tabacon! The slide was very fun if you're with your loved one you can sneak up to the lil beds that you can pull the curtain down and make love... The buffet wasn't too bad. It was weird though, it was asian night and they sat all the asians on one side which kinda felt uncomfortable.

A nice place
4. Re: Which Hot Springs?

I haven't been to Tabacon but to Baldi, The Springs and Los Laureles. They are all worth the money depends on what you are looking for.

The slides in Baldi are really fun, but Baldi gets busy in the evenings. You shouldn't go too late. The Springs is very beautiful and quiet. But I missed a really hot pool like in Baldi, the slide is much slower than the ones in Baldi. Los Laureles is the cheapest option, entrance is $10. I went there because I only had an hour left. It's basic but the pools are hot and clean.

Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
5. Re: Which Hot Springs?

It sounds like tabacon is more of relaxing mellow place and pricier than some of the others, tabacon was anything but a big party..not sure what jonathon c saw at tabacon but if you were looking for that kind of party i guess you could be accommodated but i didnt see anything like that..seems like just about everyone can be accommodated in arenal for hot springs fun...enjoy

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 161
6. Re: Which Hot Springs?

Having been to most of the hot springs, I would agree that overall for an afternoon experience, Tabacon would probably be your best option. If you are wanting a more laid back experience and want to combine a nice typical dinner with the springs, I would say Ecotermales would be your best choice. If you want a venue for "younger" more active setting, probably Baldi would be your choice. If lower cost is your objective, then Los Laureles or even the hot pools at Los Lagos would be OK choices. I would only recommend the Springs Resort for the hot springs if you want cooler pools or are staying there anyway. The hotest springs here are actually located at the Club Rio activities center which closes down fairly early. If you choose Tabacon, I would highly recommend that you wear water shoes in the pools as the bottoms of several of these pools are lined with "sharp" rocks and jagged concrete steps. I "wrecked" my big toe on some of this concrete and cut the bottom of my foot on the sharp rocks. All the other hot springs are fine without shoes.

Richmond, Virginia
7. Re: Which Hot Springs?

Would Baldi or The Springs be your choice for a family with an 11 year old boy? The Springs offers a two day pass, but it sounds like the slides might be better at Baldi...

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 102
8. Re: Which Hot Springs?

Baldi doesn't have a great reputation; we've met several people that didn't enjoy it there, but haven't gone to that one ourselves. I'd pick Tabacon if you can, but if not I'd take The Springs over Baldi. We loved staying at The Springs, but what we loved were their Club Rio activities and tubing on the river.

New Hampshire
reviews: 12
9. Re: Which Hot Springs?

We went to Tabacon and loved it. We were staying at the Tabacon hotel, so we went to the springs several times. It can get busy at night and if the weather is a little cool. We went when it was lightly raining, and it was lovely - very few people there and lounging in the hot water with a light rain overhead is actually a nice experience. If you are not traveling with children, definitely head up to the Shangri-La gardens. Keep walking up, away from the entrance, and you'll find this relaxing, quiet spot where you can sit in your own private cabana and get bar service. I could have stayed there all day.

Houston, Texas
10. Re: Which Hot Springs?

Thanks for all the recs. My husband and I will have to decide if we want to spend the money for Tabacon but sounds like that is more our style. We just want a relaxing evening with a few drinks in hand. No dinner for us since it's included at our hotel.

Thanks again!