We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Which is the best hotel for a family with 3 older kids

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 5
Help! Which is the best hotel for a family with 3 older kids

We are travelling in August with our kids, ages 23, 19 and 17. We would love a spot with some action when not on adventures and was initially drawn to the Springs Resort. The more we look at it however we feel like it's more of a fake looking tourist resort. We are looking for a more authentic Costa Rica hotel to stay but with some action. Does this exist? We have stayed at the Tabacon in previous years and Capitan Suizo in Tamarindo and both of these were great. We like to try different locations and were wondering about Lost Iguanas or Nayara? Please advise if these hotels would be suitable for lively younger people. Thanks:)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 95
1. Re: Help! Which is the best hotel for a family with 3 older kids

We've stayed at The Springs Resort, Nayara, and the Lost Iguana. All of them are nice, but they all have different feelings. We loved The Springs Resort. The service is the best of anywhere we've ever stayed, and their Club Rio is fantastic. The natural river that it's built on is beautiful, and they have great activities like tubing, kayaking, and horseback riding. The grounds are extensive. They have nice balconies with hummingbird feeders. Nice views. The rooms are the most comfortable of the places you mentioned. Nayara has a romantic honeymoon feel to it - a nice bar, sushi bar, very designed feeling with granite, etc. The Lost Iguana is set further from town, so it has a very jungly feeling to it. Spectacular volcano views and nice balconies with rocking chairs. More rustic but still nice. The service is nice and friendly, but not as professional feeling as the other two. You're more likely to see wildlife here - lots of birds including toucans, butterflies, howler monkeys, coatis, etc. Lots of hiking on the property. If you want a spot with some action, The Springs Resort is your best bet because they offer so many wonderful activities on site. I wouldn't consider the Lost Iguana or Nayara as lively.

San Francisco...
reviews: 5
2. Re: Help! Which is the best hotel for a family with 3 older kids

Thanks for the info...I think we will stick with the Springs...sounds like they have a lot to offer. I just hope it's not too fakey:)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Help! Which is the best hotel for a family with 3 older kids

It is a fake hotel...nice for some people funny looking for others...IMO not the best...I will rather stay at Tabacon or for a good value...Los Lagos...a lot to do at both places...

roadadvisor

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 95
4. Re: Help! Which is the best hotel for a family with 3 older kids

Check out the pictures and see what you think. We had the same concern, but looking at the pics and the fantastic reviews changed our mind. Check those out and see what you think. They also have great food and a choice of five different restaurants. We liked the open air casual one down by the river - great spot for lunch. Their Ventanas restaurant has floor to ceiling windows and beautiful views. Nice if you want a more upscale spot for dinner. The Lost Iguana is very authentic feeling, but it's an extremely quiet property. You could go hours without seeing another soul there.

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
5. Re: Help! Which is the best hotel for a family with 3 older kids

I agree with volcanogirl's assessment. Nayara is fantastic, but there are no activities on the grounds and it is geared more for romance, Lost Iguana is one of my favorite hotels, but is a little more rustic and only offers hiking (though the hanging bridges are right around the corner). The Springs offers plenty of activities and the hot springs. It is a little more concrete than I like, but both the gardens and hotel are maturing now.

There are also a couple lower priced hotels with activities such as Montana de Fuego, Los Lagos and Arenal Paraiso. It sounds like you are seeking more upscale lodging though.

6. Re: Help! Which is the best hotel for a family with 3 older kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 13, 2014