We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Activity Recs, please!

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Need Activity Recs, please!

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this question has been posted. I am traveling to CR in 3 weeks and staying at Nayara with my mother for six days to celebrate her birthday. We are both active and want to enjoy the beauty that CR has to offer. I am working out our itinerary now and I know for sure that we'd like to visit Tabacon, do ziplining, and perhaps 1-2 other activities. Someone recommended Cano Negro, but to be honest, it looks a bit boring to me. Can anyone recommend their favorite walking/water activities in the area? Also, would you recommend Tabacon during the day or evening. Thanks in advance!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Need Activity Recs, please!

TAbacon around 5.30PM...so nice to spend the rest of the evening there...

Maybe a hike to LA Fortuna waterfalls...nice and easy...

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Need Activity Recs, please!

You can try canyoning, white water rafting, take a horseback ride, stand up paddle or kayak or canoe on the lake, hike in the National Park or El Silencio reserve or Arenal 1968 reserve or Arenal Hanging Bridges. If you are into bird and wildlife, Cano Negro is great. If you want adventure try some of the more adrenaline inducing activities.

New York
3. Re: Need Activity Recs, please!

Thanks everyone!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 94
4. Re: Need Activity Recs, please!

Sky Trek for ziplining, La Roca for waterfall rappelling, and tubing at the Springs Resort and Spa. We like the waterfall hike too. I prefer the springs at night so we can do adventure activities during the day, for me they're better when it's cooled off a little at night. We love Cano Negro, but if you're not into wildlife, it's okay to skip it. We've seen monkeys, sloths, caimans, and cool birds there. It's the best place to see wildlife in that area. The Hanging Bridges is a nice hike if you're looking for one.

Munich, Germany
reviews: 4
5. Re: Need Activity Recs, please!

Hanging Bridges and Rio Celeste are awesome. We also very much enjoyed Cano Negro, because there is a lot of wildlife there.... but it's a boat tour, and if you want to do something more active, I would go for Rio Celeste. If you want to use a guide for the walking/ nature tours, I highly recommend www.tarabatours.com .You will see much more wildlife with a guide and get great info on the animals, plants and the area in general.

Another fun place to visit in my opinion are the Venado caves if you are not claustrophobic.

Water activities: rafting or canyoning. A great company is www.desafiocostarica.com or for canyoning, also www.puretrek.com

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
6. Re: Need Activity Recs, please!

Ecoglide and Sky both have great ziplines. There is good class II and III rafting on the Balsa. The La Roca Canyoning tour is awesome. There is a great hike at Cerro Chato and you can follow it up with a stop at the La Fortuna Waterfalls. If these things seem like too much adventure you could do a Safari Float on the Penas Blancas. The Hanging Bridges actually involves a pretty good hike in addition to the bridges. Of course, there are the hot springs which you cannot miss as well.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
7. Re: Need Activity Recs, please!

Also nice hike around Cerro Chato...nice hike!

roadadfvisor

New York
8. Re: Need Activity Recs, please!

thanks everyone!

9. Re: Need Activity Recs, please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 11, 2014