We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tabacon vs Royal Corin

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chandler, Arizona...
Tabacon vs Royal Corin

My husband and I are staying 3 nights in Arenal Area and we are trying to determine which hotel we should stay at? I've heard Tabacon is beautiful and the hot springs are awesome, but its further away from town. Royal Corin I have heard is newer, closer to amenities, but the grounds are not as nice. Any opinions or suggestions welcome!!!

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
1. Re: Tabacon vs Royal Corin

You pretty much already summed it up. Tabacon has nicer grounds and hot springs, but the rooms are a little dated. It is further from town and I don't believe they include breakfast in their regular rates, which is a consideration as last I heard, it was around $30 a plate once service and taxes are factored in. The Royal Corin has newer and nicer rooms, but the hot springs are actually in swimming pools and the grounds are smaller with no forest.

If both points are important to you, you could stay at the Royal Corin and go on a day pass to Tabacon. IMHO, you can't lose either way.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
2. Re: Tabacon vs Royal Corin

IMO I would go for Tabacon. Royal Corin for me looks out of place, a bit gaudy for my tastes... Tabacon has what I think are the best springs in the area.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 103
3. Re: Tabacon vs Royal Corin

Two others you should take a look at - Nayara and The Springs Resort and Spa - both fantastic spots. I agree about the Royal Corin - to me, it towers over everything and looks out of place, although I'm sure it's a nice property.

Chandler, Arizona...
4. Re: Tabacon vs Royal Corin

How far from town or restaurants etc are you at Tabacon. Trying to determine if we want to do their Breakfast Option but it seems like $30 a person per day is steep for just breakfast. But not sure if there are other options???

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
5. Re: Tabacon vs Royal Corin

There are a two typical Costa Rican style restaurants that are within a couple minutes drive of Tabacon, but I don't think either serves breakfast. I may be wrong, but I think the closest restaurant that serves breakfast is Delicatessen (great little place), near Magic Mountain Hotel which is about 10 minutes drive from Tabacon. I just found the link to Tabacon's breakfast menu: tabacon.com/pdfs_tabs/022_11CF4398-CB9B-CFA6…

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 1
6. Re: Tabacon vs Royal Corin

Tabacon just renovated their rooms, so the decor is a lot nicer now in the rooms. They've done some nice upgrades, especially in the suites. But they're polar opposites in terms of the resort style and ambiance so its really a personal aesthetic choice. The big plus with Royal Corin is that their pools/hot springs are for resort guests only. Tabacon's springs have a lot of day pass visitors and if your visit is scheduled for a peak time of year, it can get crowded (although you can use them all day from the hotel and most of the day pass guests don't show up until the afternoon). Having stayed at both, I liked both, but prefered Tabacon, because their springs are incomparable IMHO, and while pricey, the breakfast there is very good (as is the Tucanes restaurant in general - the buffet at the springs complex is just so so). I also tend to prefer hotels that have a more local style ambiance to them, which Tabacon has over Royal Corin.

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 106
7. Re: Tabacon vs Royal Corin

I think people summed up Tabacon fairly good so let me give you a little more info on Royal Corin. Royal Corin is considered the "high rise" here because it's @3 floors and not done in the Costa Rican style so some people think it's an eyesore. Most people who think that have actually never been inside the hotel which is contemporary, beautiful, great service and their pools are gorgeous. The Lava Bar on the top floor looks like a bar out of LA where I'm from so it's quite different and definitely not "Costa Rican". It really comes down to what it is you prefer...both are "outside of town" so I wouldn't let that determine where you stay...look at the hotel itself. FYI the Lava Bar has a fantastic happy hour with 2 for 1 drinks & yummy appetizers. :-) Enjoy!

8. Re: Tabacon vs Royal Corin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 31, 2014