We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Costa Rica Boutique hotels

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manalapan, New...
Tipping in Costa Rica Boutique hotels

I have travelled all over the world and in some countries tipping is considered an insult. What are the views on tipping in Costa Rica and especially in a boutique hotel like Nayara or Peace Lodge?

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 104
1. Re: Tipping in Costa Rica Boutique hotels

Tipping is definitely not seen as an insult here. For as little as the people here make on an hourly basis, a good tip can make a big difference. My advice to my clients is always this: if you're thinking "should I pay the guide $15 or $20"...always go with the bigger amount. Enjoy!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 94
2. Re: Tipping in Costa Rica Boutique hotels

We've stayed at both, and tips are definitely appreciated. The only time we've gotten strange looks about tipping is when we've tipped taxi drivers. Sometimes they'll try to give it back and say that you've overpaid, but I think tipping them is becoming more common. One of our guides was telling us about different nationalities of travelers, and he said that Americans always smile a lot, tip a lot, and they like for you to joke with them.

3. Re: Tipping in Costa Rica Boutique hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 20, 2014