We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SJO to Rio Celeste Hideaway Resort

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
virginia beach, va
SJO to Rio Celeste Hideaway Resort

We are traveling to Costa Rica for Spring break and upon our arrival at SJO, we will be driving directly to Rio Celeste Hideaway resort. I have found two different routes to the hotel and was wondering if anyone could advise me on which one is best...We are looking for a direct route with the least possibility of car sickness since my daughter has issues with this....The hotel told me the trip should take about 4 hours...is this accurate?

the first route I found is Hwy 1 towards Canas, then hwy 6 towards Bijagua.

The second route is Hwy 1 to hwy 4 turning at Katira?

Thanks for your help!

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
1. Re: SJO to Rio Celeste Hideaway Resort

I think the route that goes Hwy 1 to Canas then Hwy 6 is the best. You will find the fewest curvy mountain roads that way.

And yes, it's about 4 hours, depending on traffic, etc.

I would plan on making a few stops to let your daughter take a break. One great place to stop is in Limonal at the turnoff to the Friendship Bridge. There are a couple of restaurants there and safe parking -even with bags in your car. Behind the little restaurants live some scarlet macaws at a house there. They are not in cages.

Not far from that stop is Canas and about 4 km north of Canas, make a stop at Las Pumas Wildlife Rescue Center. It is just past La Pacifica. If you reach the Rincon Corobici restaurant or the bridge over the Rio Corobici, you have gone too far. At Las Pumas, you will see all kinds of animals, including big jungle cats.

About 12 km from the turnoff onto Rt 6, you will go over a hill and at that point, if it is a clear day, you can see 6 volcanoes! From right to left... Tenorio, Miravalles, Santa Maria, Rincon de la Vieja, Cacao and Orosi.

Rt 6 is a beautiful drive and not a lot of curves. It will gradually go up and up and you will notice the change in vegetation.

Bijagua is a good place to stop if you need to. There is a bank and several restaurants and a couple of supermarkets. If you want to take anything with you in the way of snacks or drinks, stopping at one of the supermarkets would be good because there is NOTHING close to the Rio Celeste Hideaway.

Once you pass the El Pueblo Supermarket on your left, you will see the turnoff to the National Park. Turn right here. This is a bumpy road, so just go slow and plan on some stops if your daughter has problems. It's not very curvy - it is a beautiful drive.

You will pass the entrance to the National Park and keep going for about 2 km until you reach the entrance to the Rio Celeste Hideaway. It's a really beautiful place and I'm sure you will love it there.

Let me know if you have any more questions - I live not far from there.

virginia beach, va
2. Re: SJO to Rio Celeste Hideaway Resort

Hattiecostarica....Thank you so much for all of this information! This is exactly what I need...I really appreciate the suggested places to stop and take a break...I have a feeling we will be taking advantage of those! You are amazing!

Costa Rica
reviews: 23
3. Re: SJO to Rio Celeste Hideaway Resort

You're welcome, badcat. Enjoy!

Toronto, Ontario...
reviews: 2
4. Re: SJO to Rio Celeste Hideaway Resort

How do you get to Hwy 1 from La Garita or From Hwy 27

5. Re: SJO to Rio Celeste Hideaway Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 28, 2014