We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring La Fortuna Cheaply

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Loveland, Colorado
reviews: 11
Touring La Fortuna Cheaply

We are coming up to La Fortuna around Easter. I would like to do active things, but I don't have a lot of money to spend on 80/60 per person tours. What activities, like walks/hiking, can we do relatively cheaply. And if there were one activity I had to spend money on, what one would you pick as a worthwhile expenditure of money. Thanks,

YellowstoneCamper

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 93
1. Re: Touring La Fortuna Cheaply

You can hike at La Fortuna waterfall and at the Hanging Bridges for fairly cheaply and you can visit the free natural hot springs where the locals go.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 54
2. Re: Touring La Fortuna Cheaply

You can also visit the Volcano NP for an entry fee of 10 US$ and hike the trails by yourself. A local bus will take you close to the entrance. Further away and needing a transport by taxi is Arenal Observatory Lodge the entry fee for its trail system full of wildlife is 6 US$. Close by is the village of Castillo with butterfly garden and great view over the volcano, I suspect that there has to be local bus there. For me, the money best invested were into Cano Negro Boat Tour.

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 104
3. Re: Touring La Fortuna Cheaply

OK here are the "insider tips" from somebody who lives here in La Fortuna:

Lodging: Bueno-Bonito-Barato or Chillout Backpackers

Activities: Walk to El Salto & go swimming with the locals and use the tarzan swing, Tabacon free hot springs OR for $9 go to Los Laureles Hot Springs (across form Hotel Los Lagos-you can bring your own food & drink and there are tables, shelters, lock-boxes and BBQs), Lands in Love tour has white water river rafting, zip lining and more...a full day of adventure at an unbelievably cheap price, Red Lava has a volcano hike, stops at the free Tabacon hot springs & more (I don't sell tours so I'm not 100% sure about all that it includes but I know it's CHEAP)! :-)

Cheap eats: #1 Grocery Store (can't beat that) or Soda Hormigas-by the Mega Super Grocery Store & Bus Station

Alcohol: Stop at the Duty Free on your way into Costa Rica if you want wine or alcohol. Beers can be purchased at a liquor store in town (Licorera in Fortuna-good one-is 1 block from bus station-take a left at Importadora Monge)-pay cash and get an even better deal.

Check out the FortunaSocialClub.com and see what they're doing that week you're in town-there's a happy hour every Thursday and the prices are always good!

Enjoy!

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
4. Re: Touring La Fortuna Cheaply

In addition to what the others mentioned, you could do the Cerro Chato hike. It's a tough, but good hike. The easiest access point is the Green Lagoon Lodge located near the La Fortuna Waterfalls. It costs $10 per person to enter (without a guide).

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 93
5. Re: Touring La Fortuna Cheaply

Soda la Parada is a good, cheap place to eat where you can get casados and other typical local food.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: Touring La Fortuna Cheaply

To really save money get a little car...about $ 60.00 a day including basic insurance...you will save money...by the way deal directly with tour operators...you do not need any midlle person...

roadadvisor

7. Re: Touring La Fortuna Cheaply

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 15, 2014