We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me your "must dos"

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pasadena, Maryland
reviews: 5
Tell me your "must dos"

We are staying in Chachagua for 6 nights in April. We are explorers! We do not really like planned tours. What do you think that we absolutely must see in the area?? Maybe you could also recommend a good guide book?? What should we not miss while we are there?? Thanks!

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 160
1. Re: Tell me your "must dos"

I am assuming that you will have your own transportation, so here goes. Drive to Los Chilies, ask for Henry at the boat docks ( he has the small red boat with the blue top) and do the Cano Negro tour. Great guide and speaks very good english. You should have enough time on this day to also take a side trip to Del Toro waterfall. This is a beautiful waterfall that doesn't get much press. Do the La Fortuna Waterfall, and make sure that you wear your swimsuit under your shorts and shirt. That way you can spend awhile at the bottom swiming and enjoying the fall. Take a snack and something to drink with you so you can spend a few hours enjoying the beauty. Make sure that you eat a few meal at Soda La Prada, as this is very good food and reasonable prices. Of course there is always the zip line which is not to be missed. Absolutely not to be missed as you zip line down, you have a great view of the lake. There is also Eco glide if you would prefer them. The hanging bridges are always a big posting thing, but to be honest, we were a little let down by the lack of wildlife that we say doing this. There are several hot springs in the area to do. We have tried to do most of them, and have found that for the best experience, Tabacon is probably the best overall, and Ecotermales is the most Costa Rican experience. Of course there is always The Springs Resort, which seems to get a lot of negative press, but we found that we really enjoyed the Club RIo Experience there. If you want to do the white water rafting, there are a several different companies that you can book with. Of course while you are this close, don't miss a day trip to Rio Celeste. This is a moderately difficult hike, but don't miss this place. While there, splurge a little, and enjoy a great meal at Don Ruffinos. THis is a must for us while in the area. There is a lot more to do in the area, horse back riding, night tours, lake fishing and kayaking, etc, Just do what you enjoy and have a great time.

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 104
2. Re: Tell me your "must dos"

Favorite Guide Book: Frommer's (although TripAdvisor is just as good as any guide book!)

Favorite "Must Do Activities in La Fortuna": Proyecto Asis Wildlife Rescue, Zip Lining (SkyTrek.com), Rio Fortuna Waterfall hike, Hot Springs (they have a wild cat & other rescued animals too), Canyoning-Rappelling down waterfalls (PureTrek.com) and make sure to spend some time on the lake (VolcanoLakeAdventuresCR.com).

Favorite Restaurants: La Choza del Laurel, Lava Lounge, Gecko Gourmet, Don Rufino's (expensive but worth it)

Favorite Bars: Lava Lounge (Friday-Saturday nights), Kazaan

ENJOY!!! :-)

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
3. Re: Tell me your "must dos"

Tabacon or Ecotermales hot springs, Ecoglide or Sky zipline, Canyoning with La Roca, Rafting the Balsa or Sarapiqui. If you are up for the challenge of a good physical hike, Cerro Chato is excellent. The La Fortuna Waterfalls are a nice side trip as well.

Pasadena, Maryland
reviews: 5
4. Re: Tell me your "must dos"

Wow thanks for all the info!

What time is best to arrive for the boat tour in Cano Negra?

Do you happen to remember the name of the zip line? Is there just one?

Any one able to hold a sloth while they were there?

We are staying in Chachanuga, is it an easy drive to the restaurants you are recommending?

Thanks again!!!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 93
5. Re: Tell me your "must dos"

Sky Trek is the most popular zipline with very long, high, fast lines. That's the one that we did. Proyecto Asis will let you get very close to the wildlife; we were able to feed a sloth when we were there.

6. Re: Tell me your "must dos"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 13, 2014