We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Fortuna Activities

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MN
reviews: 1
La Fortuna Activities

About 5 years ago we did WWR with Defasio on the Rio Basla. 4.5 hours (Long enough, not all day, maybe looking for wilder this time) and Sky Trek for zipline. I wondering if that's the way we should go again. We also did Hanging bridges and Tabacon Hot Springs, and walked the base of the volcano, liked all.. We'll be there March 1st. Do we need to book ahead? Staying at Arenal Parasio. Are we missing anything??

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 1
1. Re: La Fortuna Activities

If you want wilder, you might look at running the Tenorio river (I believe Desafio is still the only company running it from Arenal right now) or the Toro. Tenorio's definitely going to be a full day. You might also try one of the canyoning tours - La Roca, Pure Trek, or Lost Canyon. Those weren't really there 5 years ago and if you like the more adventurous activites, this would be a good option to choose to try something different.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: La Fortuna Activities

MAybe try LA Fortuna waterfall ro a nice hike around Cerro Chato...Caño Negro...

roadadvisor

Cajon?

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
3. Re: La Fortuna Activities

Doing the Rio Tenorio from Arenal is not the best idea, in my opinion. The "put-in" is around 3 hours from Arenal so makes for a reeaalllyyy loooonnng day. However, if you are a rafting "nut" - you might do it!

I don't know if they offer the excursion from Arenal, but Rios Tropicales does a whitewater rafting trip on the Rio Tenorio.

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 106
4. Re: La Fortuna Activities

If you want an amazing WWRR experience and are flying into or out of San Jose, check out the Rio Pacuare...the best WWRR I've ever done and it's so beautiful!

La Fortuna the list of things to do is so long it's hard to name them all but here is an idea of the things you can do here:

LAKE ARENAL: fishing, kayaking, bird watching, wake boarding, sunset boat cruise, party boat cruise...

LA FORTUNA/VOLCANO ARENAL: Hiking in one of the many parks (Reserva Silencio de Mirador, National Park, 1968), Try a different Ziplining Co like EcoGlide or Aventura (that goes over the Rio Fortuna waterfall) although know that SkyTrek is still the best in this area, Proyecto Asis Wildlife Rescue, Ecocenter Danaus, ATV, horseback ride, Rio Salto (where the locals go to swim in the river and there's a rope swing-just ask around), hot springs (too many to choose from, each with their pros/cons), rappel down waterfalls-I like Pure Trek's the best, and much, much more!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 102
5. Re: La Fortuna Activities

Definitely look into the La Roca canyoning tour with Sunset Tours. We loved it! The area is so gorgeous, and we were able to rappel down several waterfalls, do a zipline, and a hanging bridge all at the same place. Also really like the waterfall hike. If you want to see wildlife, Cano Negro and Penas Blancas river float. If you want to get close to the wildlife, check out the Proyecto Asis animal rescue center. We also really liked tubing at the Springs Resort and Spa on the beautiful river there; they also have kayaking. If you want to visit a smaller locally owned hot spring Eco Termales is nice, and I like that they limit the number of people who can enter. They serve a good chicken dinner too.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
6. Re: La Fortuna Activities

Another vote for the Rio Pacuare. If you are flying into SJO and you book in advance with Exploradores Outdoors they will pick you early AM, take youto the Pacuare for a day of the best whitewater rafting in Costa Rica and then drop you in Arenal at the end of the day.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
7. Re: La Fortuna Activities

Also - Rios Tropicales offers this. You can't go wrong with either one.

Walnut Creek...
8. Re: La Fortuna Activities

What airport should i fly into? San Jose or Liberia? Thanks, Helen

La Fortuna
reviews: 2
9. Re: La Fortuna Activities

Try to do Arenal Natura Ecological Park and discover species of frogs, see crocs, anakes and much more, and is like 3 minutes away from Arenal Paraiso (By CAR),, hace a great vacation

New Haven, CT
reviews: 59
10. Re: La Fortuna Activities

Which airport depends on what else you are doing... seemed to me that Arenal was almost right in the middle of San Jose and Liberia, about 3 hours from each. If you are spending any time on the North Pacific Coast you might want to use Liberia; if you are going to the south pacific or carribean sides you may be better off with San Jose.