We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Club Rio tubing at The Spring!

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Club Rio tubing at The Spring!

Has anyone done the river tubing at the springs? Wondering how rhe tubing was and if its worthwhile. Thanks

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 106
1. Re: Club Rio tubing at The Spring!

I live 5 minutes from here and I've done the tubing :-) It's Class I so it's pretty mellow although I managed to get stuck amongst the rocks! I personally prefer doing the "duckie" which is an inflatable kayak down vs. the tubing. It's a short trip but it's fun on a hot day and where you end there is hot water "bubbling" up from the sand...crazy! Also with your fee you get to choose another activity, can see the wild animal rescue and enjoy the rest of the hot springs on the property...a nice afternoon! ;-) Enjoy!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: Club Rio tubing at The Spring!

As most everything around there,,,it is fake and not woorth it..sorry...IMO...

roadadv isxor

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 160
3. Re: Club Rio tubing at The Spring!

We did the tubing and the inflatable kayaking, and had a blast. It is short, so they take you down twice. While at Club Rio, make sure to do the hike and enjoy the newest hot springs that were built along the pathways after the earthquake last year opened up some new hot spings, which they quickly made into pools. We enjoyed these springs the best of all the hot springs in the area. There is also a cafe / bar area to unwind at when you finish with the activities.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 103
4. Re: Club Rio tubing at The Spring!

It's awesome. We had so much fun and loved it. When we went we had two guides all to ourselves. The river area is beautiful, and there's a little open air restaurant down there where you can eat afterward. At the end they let us climb up a naturally heated waterfall. We were able to run the river twice like newjade mentioned. Before we went I wasn't sure if the river was natural or man made, but it's very natural and gorgeous. They had two different kinds of tubes, one was yellow and the other blue. One is a lot more stable than the other. I picked the big cushy stable one and just floated along, but my husband picked the other one, and he flipped over a couple of times which he loved. The guides had him back in the tube really quickly. I thought the kayaking looked fun too, but there are rocks and things to negotiate. I didn't know if I would be that coordinated! They offer to take a video of you if you want it, but we didn't since we had our waterproof camera with us. Very fun; I'd highly recommend it.

Winnipeg, Canada
5. Re: Club Rio tubing at The Spring!

Wow!Sounds fun! Do you think a 68 yr.old could do it? My mom isn't sure if it would be safe enough. I guess there's always a chance of tipping over though.Is the hike included in the package deal or is it one of the things you have a choice of ?If my mom sat out while we tubed, would she be occupied enough with the hot springs for a couple hrs? Anyone know how much the video costs? Have you tried the horseback riding at all? I appreciate all the great info !

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
6. Re: Club Rio tubing at The Spring!

We stayed there, so we didn't do a package deal. One thing to know ahead is that when we went, the tubing was offered at certain times. I thought you could just show up and go, but they had us reserve a specific time the day before, and then the guides were there waiting for us at the appointed time. Definitely a 68 year old could do it. You just sit in your tube and float along. If you get hung up on a rock, the guides immediately come over and push you back in the current. It's not really rough. The guides like to joke around. They dumped my husband out of his tube almost immediately so if you don't want them to do that I'd just say something up front. We felt very safe.

There's a bus that leaves from the lobby about once an hour that will take you down to the river. I have a pic posted of the river in my review if you'd like to see what it looks like. If your mom doesn't want to tip, make sure she gets the bigger more cushy tube that's more stable. If she didn't want to go, there are about 20 different hot springs she could explore. You can eat lunch or have a drink by the main spring and then there are other scattered all around. The ones toward the bottom have a water slide that we thought was fun. The might be too much for your mom - it was pretty fast! We didn't horseback ride, but the horses looked like they were in great shape, not sad like some other places we've seen. There's also a spa if you think that's something your mom would like to do.

Winnipeg, Canada
7. Re: Club Rio tubing at The Spring!

Thanks! We're definitely going! Sounds like a blast!

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
8. Re: Club Rio tubing at The Spring!

The Rio Arenal is one of the most scenic places in the country. It's a beautiful canyon style river surrounded with jungle and there is a lot of wildlife there. While I have not tubed it, I have rafted it when the water was up. It remains one of my fondest memories in the years we have been here. The Springs Resort is an amazing place. I am sure you will have a great time.

Sammamish...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Club Rio tubing at The Spring!

We are thinking of doing the Rio Multi Sport package that includes, 2 activities, use of the hot springs, hiking trails, viewing of the wild animal rescue and lunch.

I am wondering if anyone else has done this package ($99 per person) and if so, how much time did you spend at the resort? I am trying to figure out how much time to allow in the day. Also, how did they handle the lunch that is provided? Was it any good?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
10. Re: Club Rio tubing at The Spring!

I'd plan on being there all day. I personally wouldn't bother with the hiking trails. Thumbs up for any activity on the river - kayaking, tubing, etc. And you could easily spend all day enjoying the hot springs. We ate at several of the restaurants, and all the food was good. If you can choose, I'd go with the open air restaurant along the river.