We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please advise: Driving from San Jose to La Fortuna

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax
reviews: 1
Please advise: Driving from San Jose to La Fortuna

My husband and I arrive in San Jose on January 8, he wants to drive to La Fortuna. I have a terrible fear of driving on roads with no shoulders, no land beside me, with cliff like drop offs with no guardrails, etc. Are the roads like this? Also, I watched a wonderful video on you tube by Travelcostarica.com that gave three different driving routes to La Fortuna. Would someone please check this video out and advise me if taking route two which turns right at Bajo Rodriguez, then to Santa Clara, to Angeles, to El Tanque and then to La Fortuna avoid the above mentioned road conditions if they in fact exist? Also we have no definate planned itinerary, want to travel around. Is it necessary to book lodging in advance? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Maryellen

London, England...
reviews: 84
11. Re: Please advise: Driving from San Jose to La Fortuna

beachhappy

As a fellow American, Bucknell's advice is probably the most relevant to you. I would say it was an easy drive (we took the 702 also) and I think most non-Americans would agree but Bucknell will give you a better idea of how you'll find it.

Asheville, North...
reviews: 14
12. Re: Please advise: Driving from San Jose to La Fortuna

We just did this trip Dec. 13th-22nd. We rented a car in San Jose...We used Wild Rider. Excellent service. They brought the car to our hotel and then picked it up from the hotel on our return. We rented a small SUV 4X4 with GPS. We had no problems driving. Some of the roads leading out of San Jose were a bit crazy...no lanes...speedy drivers, etc. but once we got out of the city the roads were fine. Yes, most are dirt and yes, they are mountainous but as long as you go slow you will be fine. I was not the least bit nervous. You do not feel like you are on the edge of a cliff...I was more afraid driving around Zion and Bryce Canyon in the US than to La Fortuna. Drive took us about 3 1/2 hours. Just remember that drivers stop in the middle of the road, there are no "sholders" so be prepared when following someone and there are a lot of bridges where only one car fits at a time. It was the best trip ever...have fun!

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
13. Re: Please advise: Driving from San Jose to La Fortuna

Excellent, TayBay! My favorite part....."....It was the best trip ever...."

Oceanside...
14. Re: Please advise: Driving from San Jose to La Fortuna

Where do you get NAVSAT for only $10? It looks like I will be paying $90.00. Ouch. I asked if I could purchase the 30 day and if I liked it, could upgrade. They said no to this as well. Before I take the dive..any info would be appreciated! @DavidE

London, England...
reviews: 84
15. Re: Please advise: Driving from San Jose to La Fortuna

Sorry Hayley, unhelpful wording from me. Standard fee for gps is ten bucks A DAY.

Oceanside...
16. Re: Please advise: Driving from San Jose to La Fortuna

Gotcha. Thanks for confirming.

17. Re: Please advise: Driving from San Jose to La Fortuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, January 06, 2014