We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hot springs to visit in Fortuna area

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Which hot springs to visit in Fortuna area

Hi,

I see there are 2 main hot springs as choices to several combo tours with the arenal volcanoe hike.

Traveling with 19 and 18 yr old.

Are these springs more for Adults?

How does Tabacon comare to the other two for the added cost?

With a family of 4 Ecotermales/Badki would be $60-80 bucks cheaper but I'm ok with spending the extra $$ if Tabacon overs a great experience.

We'll be staying at Hotel El Silencio De Campo which I'm told has a hot spring but probably does not compare to the ones I noted above.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 69
1. Re: Which hot springs to visit in Fortuna area

Ecotermales has fewer pools, fewer people, and a lot less noise.

Depends if you want a focus on relaxation or an upbeat party atmosphere.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
2. Re: Which hot springs to visit in Fortuna area

I really dig Tabacon, even more when they used to be cheaper. My main reason for choosing them is the number of pools they have. Even on very crowded days I have visited I was able to find several pools tucked away with nobody around. Most folks stay near the main pool and waterfall area so if you get away from that it's a blast.

I like Eco termales but just not enough pools there for my taste. Baldi I have never been to but have heard mixed reviews on them. Last time I was up that way I drove by and there were 4 bus loads of people arriving at the same time, IMO a bit too much of a human soup.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 95
3. Re: Which hot springs to visit in Fortuna area

We like both Eco Termales and Tabacon. I think kids that age would enjoy Tabacon more because it's a little more elaborate and has a water slide. Eco Termales is wonderful, but quieter and less crowded, more charming to me. My husband said that if he were in his 20s and on a guy's trip, he'd go with Tabacon, but married and in his 30s he likes Eco T. We haven't been to Baldi but have met people that went and didn't really enjoy it.

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 103
4. Re: Which hot springs to visit in Fortuna area

There are SO many hot springs to choose from in this area and they all have their advantages and dis-advantages. Here's my take on each of the top 5:

1) Tabacon is the oldest and most natural of all the hot springs in this area but the price of not only the entrance but the drinks are just so high!

2) Hotel Los Lagos has some great hot springs & a cool pool, a couple of slides and several smaller pools people can spread out amongst them. Their bar/rest by the pool is okay and as with most hot springs, overpriced.

3) If you like to go where the locals go and don't need a bar/restaurant, go across the street from Los Lagos to Los Laureles. It's only $9 to get in (could be a little higher right now for Xmas) but take your own cooler with drinks, food (there's BBQs there so if you want to cook-bring charcoal & lighter fluid), and they've doubled the # of their pools recently, there are also covered Ranchos with lock boxes and power at each of them. The only key to going here is DO NOT GO ON THE WEEKENDS as it gets way too busy!

4) EcoTermales: romantic, very small area for the pools, great local food.

5) Baldi: If you want to party with a ton of other people and listen to loud music...this is the place you want to go...if not....pick somewhere else.

Hope this helps...enjoy this lovely area!!!

Unity, Maine
reviews: 17
5. Re: Which hot springs to visit in Fortuna area

The thing to remember is that Baldi is constructed pools - they're made of stone, concrete, etc. with many lovely settings, however. There are many large pools and you can easily find secluded places.

Tabacon is a natural spring, so be prepared for dirt, rocks, sediment, etc. on the bottom, even large leave floating by if it rains. The pools are much smaller, but also offer secluded places to relax.

We visited both; both were crowded and expensive.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: Which hot springs to visit in Fortuna area

Personally I will stay as far as I can from Baldi..

Way to many people...drunks...etc...entrance fee is not that bad...but once inside they will really charge you...high prices ...for even a bottle of water!!

Eco Termales...really a nice place...run by a 100% cotsrican family...fair prices...

Tabacon nice but expensive...food not good at all..at least for the price you pay for...but overall is a nice place!

roadadv isor

Annapolis...
reviews: 11
7. Re: Which hot springs to visit in Fortuna area

Tabacon was amazing!

New York City, New...
8. Re: Which hot springs to visit in Fortuna area

Thanks everyone for your feedback..

So it seems for us either the Eco-Termales or Tabacon would be the ones to consider.

We'll be staying at the Hotel El Silencio de Campo. They supposely have their own hot springs pool. Is it any good?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
9. Re: Which hot springs to visit in Fortuna area

Silencio has some springs on the property and they may do the trick. The times I have stayed there I skipped the other hot springs in the area, I found them at the hotel to be good enough.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 69
10. Re: Which hot springs to visit in Fortuna area

we liked the el silencio springs (maybe 5 of them), they are very warm and very clean (they drain and refill them each morning, there is a bar and you can order food.

we went every night, did not go to any other springs