We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good combo tour for raft III/IV and rappel?

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Good combo tour for raft III/IV and rappel?

HI

10 days from our trip and I'm working on our activities. There are some many things to do in the Arenal area and so many tour companies to choose from - I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I'llbe traveling with 2 teens (19 and 18) and I know they would like to raft and rappel. I am looking for a combo where we can raft class II/IV and do a decent rappel trip. So far what I narrowed my choices to are..

1) Costa Descents - they tell me they have access to an upper part of the Balsa river which provides Class III/IV rapids. They can add a rappel to this trip but it's only one rappel (about 150 ft)

2) Desafio - has the Lost Canyon rappel which many people on the forum speak highly of but for rafting they have a 200lb limit. I'm 225lb so unless I go on a crash diet and lose the 25 lb in 10 days it's unlikely I can raft with Desafio.

3) Pure-Trek as a combo - rappel seems comparable to Desafio but thier rafting isonly class II/III

We've already rafted II/III so I was hoping to get a class III/IV in on this trip...

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
1. Re: Good combo tour for raft III/IV and rappel?

Chances are the extra 25 pounds is not going to put the kibosh on the tour with Desafio. They have guidelines but they will assess the situation with you in person before that call is made as to whether or not you are healthy enough. I am 225 myself and have been rafting with them in the past. Just be sure to let them know ahead of time.

All 3 companies get good reviews, so I do not think is matters much which you choose to go with. I am a Desafio fan myself, when I find a company I dig I usually stick with them, but IMO all companies you have listed are quite good at what they do.

Cheers

Edited: 12:14 pm, December 20, 2012
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 94
2. Re: Good combo tour for raft III/IV and rappel?

Does it have to be a combo? We did rafting and rappelling separately and really enjoyed both. The La Roca canyoning tour is amazing and combines waterfall rappels with a zipline, hanging bridge, etc. We loved it. Sunset Tours offers it. We did rafting with Rios Tropicales, and they were great as well.

We've used Desafio for a number of tours and have always thought they were great like Inca mentioned.

La Fortuna de San...
reviews: 104
3. Re: Good combo tour for raft III/IV and rappel?

As for the weight issue, it's usually more on where your weight is carried because the lines can hold way more than 200 lbs but it's the harnesses that can be the issue. You'd need to go to Desafio's HQ in town and ask...they'd be able to know just by looking at you. :-)

I think that if you want to do the II/IV river that you need to do it separately than the rappelling. The III/IV tours usually leave in the morning and don't get back into town until about 4pm so trying to do both in one day is what's making it hard for you to get it as a combo. Pure Trek Canyoning, for example, has a 7am tour and you're done by about noon so you have the rest of the day to go for a hike, hot springs, etc. If you can do the tours on separate days then I'd say Wave Expeditions is a great company to go with for the WWRR.

Enjoy!

4. Re: Good combo tour for raft III/IV and rappel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 22, 2013