We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip questions- travel, accomdations, tours

Which La Fortuna de San Carlos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
First trip questions- travel, accomdations, tours

My girlfriend and I (both in mid 20s) are planning a trip to Costa Rica which will be our first. Plan on the trip being in Mid-may. After a little research I have decided we want to fly into San Jose (SJO) and travel to La Fortuna. We want to raft Toro River, Zipline and hike around/at the valcano national park. We also plan to eat good, and relax with drinks. As far as I can tell we need to plan on being in La Fortuna 2-3 nights. Any further recommendations?

What are some recommendations for places to stay? Our budget is around $150/night, would like nice accomadations, a pool with a bar if possible, breakfast included, nice views ect. Probably will not have a rental car/suv.

From La Fortuna we plan on going elsewhere. Definitly want to go to the beach for a few days. Would you recommend stopping a night or two in monteverde? If we plan on rafting, ziplining, and hiking the volcano in La Fortuna is something we HAVE to goto monteverde for?

Either way what beach town would you recommend? We are looking for laid back, possibly go sport fishing, drinks at the pool/beach, nice resturants for dinner/drinks, easy to get it from either place (la fortuna or monteverde) and an easy trip to to SJO to fly out of.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance.

Edited: 5:30 pm, December 18, 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: First trip questions- travel, accomdations, tours

Around La Fortuna...check Los Lagos or Silencio del Campo hotels...small and nice location...check Hotel La Fortuna...

Can be a good idea to take the jeep boat jeep to Monteverde...about $ 29.00 per preson is door to door service...

Then to Manuel Antonio National Park...nic beaches and a lot of wild life...check hotel Mariposa...The Falls...La Posada Inn..

From Manuel Antonio to SJO is only 3 hours...

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 2
2. Re: First trip questions- travel, accomdations, tours

We just got back from CR. We were in La Fortuna for two nights and stayed at Tabacon. We got a deal on Expedia and it was so worth it, beautiful hotel with some awesome Hot Springs - so beautiful and relaxing. We also flew into San Jose and drove up. I really recommend driving if you're up for it. The roads to la fortuna are all paved and the steep windy road through the mountains is a lot of fun... just don't do the drive at night. We didn't raft there (we did that near Manuel Antonio) but did do some zip lining. They have a superman zipline that is a lot of fun. Have a blast, you are going to love this country!

boston, ma
reviews: 1
3. Re: First trip questions- travel, accomdations, tours

Tabacon or The Springs in Arenal area.

I am partial to Samara for the beach portion - will be going for the 8th straight year in February. We stay at Villas Kalimba, but the Tree House is worth a look as well.

Also - you really should consider a rental for the Arenal portion - it will make life a lot easier as everything is REALLY spread out. Will also make getting to your beach destination more efficient as well. We typically rent when we get to SJO drive to Arenal, then to Samara and dump the car once we get there as its really not needed at that point.

Asheville, North...
reviews: 14
4. Re: First trip questions- travel, accomdations, tours

Just stayed at Hotel Kokoro for 3 nights. We loved it. Natural setting and in your price range.

5. Re: First trip questions- travel, accomdations, tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 22, 2013